Cliche Plots

Ok I really think all Wattpad writers and readers have come across this problem: cliche plots. I understand there are only so many things you can do without out it being boring, over the top, or just weird. The some of the most popular romance cliche story lines are listed below:

1. Teacher/Student

2. Popular Kid/ Nerd

3. Fall in Love with Best Friend

4. Falling in Love with Sibling’s Best Friend

5. Player/ Good Girl

Now a lot of experienced writers can pull these off. If you’re an amateur writer I would suggest adding more details to keep the readers engaged. If a story doesn’t catch your attention in first couple of paragraphs, your reader is going to get bored. Trust me. I read The Adventures of Tom Sawyer... it was the most agonizing book I have ever read. (hahaHeckNo)

On Wattpad, there are so many different types of genre you can choose from. Which is great because there are many people out there that love a certain topic! Even if a story has a cliche plot, there will be twists and turns along the way that make the own story unique! Sometimes, it’s just so hard to deal with reading the same thing happening over, and over, and over again.  (Reflectionx)

Ok, so I mostly read fanfictions, right? Most of them are the same:

1. Meet the person randomly on the street

2. Knew the person from childhood

3. Is on tour with them

4. Despises the band

Some people can get this to really work for their favor. Most people can pull it off in my opinion. But if you read fanfiction after fanfiction, it can get really boring. I just have to recommend this one fanfiction called The Passing. The author, Stickinthemud, did something COMPLETELY different than any other stories I have read. There was a twist, a turn, AND a spiral at every corner! I don’t want to give too much away, but the book is a real tear jerker. If I see it in my library, I get a little emotional... *Note: I get very attached to fictional characters for some reason....* (hahaHeckNo)

Haha, you’re not the only one that gets emotionally attached. Amazing writers know how to turn the cliche plots above to something totally different so that we do get attached! But sometimes....the writer just throw in all the cliche-est sayings at every turn, at every moment..not so cool...(Reflectionx)

I love how in almost every book on Wattpad, the protagonist's either

A. Parents died

B. Has an abusive and/or neglecting parent

C. Is on their own

There is so much more you can do when the parents are alive or is in the child’s life. Does the person have a good or bad relationship with their parents? Will the parents die mysteriously in the middle of the book? Can your parents ship you off unwillingly to a new country? (Me and Reflectionx’s books fall into at least one category....) There is so much you can do with people alive than dead, am I right? (hahaHeckNo)

So true, but I think that’s what gives the story some flavor. I think some people can relate to the bad relationship with their parents in a way that’s similar to the protagonist. (Reflectionx)

Well, of course. But sometimes it gets boring, and this is why we are here to help you, dear readers of this rant! To help inspire you, here are some tips:

1. Listen to music

Listening to music is a great way to get some ideas. If you’re thinking of making a romance, listen to Taylor Swift or Bruno Mars. More of some “dirty drama” listen to some bad ass Adele. More of the supernatural Lady Gaga is the best way to go. Just turn up your favorite tunes and take in the lyrics!

2. Take a walk

This really helps with poets. By going outside you take in the scenery of Mother Earth, whether it is good or bad. I would suggest taking a camera with you so you won’t forget the pictures you see. Not only do you get inspired, but you get a healthy workout too! (hahaHeckNo)

4. Use everyday experiences and people

Many people use this idea. If you have this friend who is a little bit dark, crazy, or a little bit ditzy use them to your advantage! They can become a person’s favorite character! Sometimes I just like the friends of the main characters because they act so much like the people I know! (Ex. Crazy, smart asses, beauty queens, party people, etc.) So if you have people who you love to death because of their quirks, I’m sure your readers will too! (hahaHeckNo)

3. Write, write, write!

You get this tip EVERYWHERE!! On the internet, professional writers, bloggers, etc. This seriously helps!! Who cares if the only thing that come to your mind is a lollipop? Or a strawberry? Just describe it using as many nouns as you can; using adjectives, adverbs, clauses, etc. Maybe, even write a little story about how a boy ate a strawberry in a funny way. Just have fun. (Reflectionx)

5. READ!

I don’t care whether it’s a real, hardcover/paperback book, or a Wattpad story, just read it! Inspiration will hit you at the most unexpected time, you’d be glad you decided to read--no matter how much you dislike the story/plot, reading is one of the easiest ways to get inspiration. (Reflectionx)

So this is the end of our rant/survival! Don’t forget to comment, vote, and fan us! We really appreciate all the reads we’ve been getting so, yah! Thanks for reading!