CHAPTER 21

5:30 am, the luminous letters on the dashboard read as Halima slowly drove into the MSF car park. After engaging the hand brake, She pulled out her phone and quickly sent a text. Minutes later, a dark shadow emerged from the camp and towards her car. His height and bouncy step told her of the incomers identity.

Joe casually walked to the passenger's side, opened the door and pulled himself onto the cushiony leather seat. "Morning, sunshine!" He said, slamming the door shut.

"Morning, to you Joe." She watched him curiously as he hurled his backpack to the back seat and listlessly struggle with his seatbelt.

"Dude, you look like you're sleepwalking!"

"I just came from a 36hour shift, the second one this week! At this point, I'm not so sure am still alive!" He yawned and leaned back giving up on the seatbelt task.

Halima continued watching him mouth agape. "You need to go back to bed, Joe! I can handle this trip on my own!"

"Nope, am coming along! Besides these seats are comfy enough I will take my nap right here." He pulled his leather jacket closer and closed his eyes.

Halima knowing full well that she would lose the argument regardless unbuckled her seat belt and leaned over him easily fastening his abandoned one. "I thought with the new group of doctors, your workload would be easy?" She asked leaning back to her seat and buckling her own belt.

"It is, but I needed to compensate for the time am taking on this trip."

"It is only two days you know," Halima turned the ignition key and the engine revved to life. "And it would have easily been a one day trip had you not insisted on staying for the night." She turned the steering wheel and drove out of the camp.

Joe lightly shook his head, eyes still closed. "Her flight is twelve hours long, she'll be exhausted and severely jet lagged, I didn't want to put her through five more hours of travel.

"You are right... I can't believe we actually pulled this off. Ryan has no idea, he bought the faulty visa story." She chuckled. "Ah, I can't wait to see his face tomorrow night at the party."

"Never doubt me again." He giggled.  "Alright sunshine, wake me when we get there." He pulled the lever under his seat and leaned back further, pulled a pair of sunglasses out of his jacket pocket, shielded his eyes, despite the darkness that surrounded them.

*******

It was 11 am by the time Halima drove into the city, the morning traffic had eased up and by the time she rolled into the airport, they had a whole hour to spare before the plane landed. She looked to her left at her sleeping friend. Joe had barely woken throughout the journey. Halima opened her door having decided to get some breakfast, she gently closed it so as not to startle him. Her efforts proved futile, however, when a monstrous Boeing Airbus chose that exact moment to fly right above them releasing a defending noise which startled Joe out of his slumber.

"Morning sleepy head." She said getting back into the car.

"What was that noise?" He croaked, readjusting his seat.

"A very, very loud plane. We are here, and we have some time to spare. I was thinking of getting breakfast. Can I bring you some coffee?"

"Yes, and some baked goods, am starving." He said then watched her climb out of the vehicle and disappear into the sea of parked cars. Minutes later, she came back her hands full of two coffees and a box of doughnuts.

"Mmmh these are divine," said Joe as he sunk his teeth into his second chocolatey treat.

Halima's phone rung, she checked the caller I'd then ignored the call. She tossed her phone back into her handbag and delved back into her warm meal.