CHAPTER 25

Dedication: mariaola2000

                   *******

Halima and Ryan walked hand in hand into the open air park. The acacia trees provided a reliable shade even in the scorching afternoon sun. The public park, usually set aside for county bazaars, provided a perfect place for a picnic. Having hardly any other available sceneries in the semi desert county, the park would have to do. They made their way to a well-shaded corner, Halima spread the blanket and they settled in it. She opened the basket and pulled out a small single tier porcelain cake stand. On it was a half a kg chocolate cake, with a single question mark shaped candle, visible through the clear glass cover.

A roar of laughter filled the air, Ryan who had clearly not been expecting the surprise was clutching his ribs. She smiled and went on to offload the basket. A few minutes later, Ryan had calmed down and was watching the food display laid out for him.

Chicken Maryland, baked potatoes, salad, some kind of dip, champagne, and the chocolate cake, all stared back at him. "When did you do all this?" He asked searching her eyes.

"I might have woken up earlier than usual, today."

"This is more like fine dining, not a picnic."

"Well, only the best for you... Happy birthday my love." She simpered.

Ryan returned the wide smile. "Thank you, love." He whispered, pulling his eyes from hers. He looked away into the distance and thoughts that had plagued his mind a lot recently sneaked back in. He tried to vanquish them but the damage was already done and Halima could clearly see it in his face.

"Babe, are you okay?" She asked.

"Yeah," he said looking back at his cake. "So the question mark on the candle is that a polite way of asking my age." He forced a chuckle.

"Yes, it was, but not as obvious as your horrible attempt at a change in topic. What's going on?" She reached out and held his hand, squeezing softly.

"I don't want to ruin the moment, you went all out to prepare this for me," he rubbed his thumb over her knuckles, gently. "I don't want to lose you," he said dragging his gaze to connect with hers.

"What do you mean lose me? I'm not going anywhere..."

"But I am, in two months time, this assignment will be over and I will be posted somewhere else."

"Oh..." She whispered.

"Yeah, and I can't bear losing you."

A lump formed in her throat, she had always known that his assignment would end sometime. Deep down she thought she'd probably be Mrs spineless by now. Things were different now, what started as a simple crush had evolved into a whirlwind romance, she had reservations at first about dating a nonbeliever but as time went by all signs seemed to be giving her a green light. Now here she was, free to marry whomever she wanted but the man she wanted still didn't know Christ and would be leaving in a few weeks. She now wished she had more time.

"...I'm turning thirty today by the way," he was saying when she finally focused on him again. "Now more than ever, I know what I want. And I want you... I want us... I want to spend the rest of my life with you Halima Sintamei..." He inhaled a deep breath and looked into her chocolate brown eyes. "Marry me!" He whispered.

Halima's brows snapped upwards. She couldn't have heard him right, could she? Looking at the gold flecks dancing in his hazel orbs, she knew she had heard right. He really had asked her to marry him and his clenched jaw gave away the fact that it had been a spontaneous proposal, and as he sat there, hands clutching hers, he was afraid of the answer.