Chapter 9 - The Hunters and the Hunted

Singing was my passion for as long as I could remember. It was a way to cope with bullying, losing my parents, and the everyday struggles of life. It was something fun, a way to express myself. It use to be so important to me. I was singing every chance I got. But something changed and suddenly I didn't feel motivated to sing anymore. My reason for singing vanished.

It reminded me of a bird. Birds love to sing, I woke up every morning to their joyful songs. However, when they're locked up, the singing ceases and you're left with a sad creature with empty eyes. Without the freedom they crave, without the ability to fly without limitations, they have nothing to sing about.

That was what befriending the girls did to me. The friendship was a cage disguised as an open sky. That wasn't how it was supposed to be.

On Monday, for the first time in a long time, I sang. It wasn't a song weaved of happiness. That would have betrayed how I felt. It was a song of loneliness. Still, it contained all of the passion and emotion that allowed a song to be a song.

So, in the empty school hallway that held my locker, I let my soul leak out. I sang softly to myself as I shuffled through my notebooks.

"What would I give to live where you are?

What would I pay to stay here beside you?

What would I do to see you smiling at me?

Where would we walk? Where would we run if we could stay all day in the sun?

Just you and me, then I could be, part of your world."

I did not remember the name of the song or who sung it. All I knew was that it played on my grandmother's radio every so often and captured my feelings perfectly. It was a bouncy yet soulful song that sounded like it belonged in a musical. I went on singing, so lost in the words that I didn't realize I was singing them aloud. So lost, I didn't realize the figure behind me.

"Wow. I had no idea you could sing."

I jumped, dropping a couple of books. The mirror in my locker reflected Norah who stood behind me looking like she just saw Santa Claus.

"Oh. I . . . I don't sing often."

She blinked. Her eyes as wide as a doe's.

I cleared my throat. Singing was something I was shy about.

"You're really talented. And to think I thought Helen was the singer of the group! You better not let her hear you sing, she'll be incredibly jealous." Her voice hitched at the word 'group' and by the awkward shifting from one foot to the other, I could tell Hannah had told her about our conversation.

"I'm sorry."

She waved a hand, dismissively. "It's been a hard time for all of us. If you need some alone time, that's fine. I just wanted to let you know that I'm not going to drop off the face of the earth. I'm here for you if you ever need a favor."

My eyebrows raised. She was respecting my decision yet still making herself available for me. I didn't expect it and I didn't deserve it. In fact, I was kind of expecting complete and utter exile from the girls and was nervous on what would happen when we were placed in the same building together.

"Thank you." I truly meant it.

She nodded and then started down the hallway, her pace steady and calculated. I stopped her, remembering that I might need her for something.

"Actually," I said loudly, causing her to turn back around, "Can I take you up on that favor?"

----------------------------------------