Chapter 1: Sunday Girl

"Debbie! Wake up! Johnathan is already gone and I need you to drive Will to school!" Mom opened my bedroom door, unimpressed with the sight of my leg hanging off and my arm covering my eyes, "Come on, could you please give him breakfast and take him to school?"

"Mmm" I grunted, hardly paying attention. I'll just sleep when she goes. She shut my door, I heard muffles of her chatting to Willy. Moments later, as I began drifting off I was suffocated by a bowl of water on my face and chest. I gasped and panicked and jumped and lunged at the culprit, "WILL!?"

"Mom said I could" the little shit defended himself. I didn't attack him because of what keeps happening in this stupid town. It's made me appreciate everybody around me, even my deadbeat dad.

"Whatever," I got up and checked the time, "shit, are you ready for school?" he nodded, "make yourself some cereal I have to get ready. Why did Johnathan leave so early?"

"I think he's with Nancy,"

"Probably making out or talking about their sad lives," I mumbled, he giggled and ran to the kitchen. I quickly got ready for school, I never really did anything with my naturally straight hair, unlike a lot of girls spending ages with their curler or blow dryer. My siblings and I were blessed with thick straight but wavy hair. None of us are popular at school anyway so why does my appearance matter? The car ride was a bit speedy considering we were almost late, "thanks for making me this," I thanked my little brother with a mouthful of jam toast in my mouth, half of it in my right hand and the other hand on the wheel.

"That's alright, I didn't really want cereal,"

"Sorry about sleeping in by the way," I was digging around in my purse for my cigarettes so I could have one before school.

"Does Mom know you smoke?" 

"Nope and if you tell her I will shave our head in your sleep and then everyone can see your weird shaped skull, got it?" I lit up while he nodded, "and it's only socially,"

"But you don't have any friends,"

"Exactly...wait what? I have friends"

"Nancy doesn't count because she and Johnathan were friends first and neither does Steve because of Nancy"

"Oh shut up, it's normal for twins to be friends with the same people and each other," that realization made me think pretty hard about how much of a loser I actually was.

"Why don't you smoke at school? Then you could trick people into thinking that you're cool,"

"Feel free to stop talking," I joked, "I don't need any more friends Willy. Popularity is a contest for actual losers who put effort into arbitrary things like getting attention-you remember how Steve Harrington used to be, he's no longer much of an asshole"

"Didn't stop you from liking him," he teased, I saw his eyebrows raise and the little shit smirked.

"You read my diary you little turd!" I smacked him and he giggled, "it was a year ago, everyone has had a crush on Steve. Dustin has had a crush on Steve," 

"You should put some perfume on, you smell like cigarettes,"

"Thanks, have fun sweetie I LOVE YOU!" I embarrassed him in front of some girls. I drove to a parking spot at the high school and rolled down the passenger window to let the smell out and sprayed some perfume. I also started chewing some gum but someone knocked into me and knocked the packet out of my hand.

"Jesus!" I was extra mad because I hide my cigarettes with my gum and I didn't want anyone finding them. The person disappeared before I could get a good look. Also, I lost my gum and smokes.