Chapter 7: Rekindle

The movie was terrible but our time together was sweet. Steve and I talked like old times. It was surprisingly refreshing finding someone nice to talk to. "Thanks for that," I thanked him as we were pulling up into my driveway. It was about 7 o'clock so dinner would be ready soon. I called home from the theatre so Johnathan knew where I was.

"Anytime Deb," there was a pause. I didn't want to leave him but I don't know if it's because I really enjoy being with him or I'm just lonely.

"Did you want to stay for dinner?" I held my breath, waiting for his answer. Steve smiled sweetly and nodded.

"That would be very nice thank you,"

"Come on then," I chirped up and opened the car door.

*

"I'm so sorry about Will," I closed the front door. He kept asking questions relating to the rumours going around school.

"Don't worry about it. He's a good kid," Steve stood quite close to me so I had to control my breathing, "thank you for giving me a second chance," he took my hands, I felt like saying something. Did he like me? Did he want a relationship? Or did he just want to be friends? I'd be okay with all outcomes to be perfectly honest. Although there is something inside of me that feels like I'm disconnecting from Billy. Sure he's paying me to hang out with him but I'd like to be with him more and more. Does that make my stupid crush something more? Or do I really not have any friends?

I squeezed Steve's hands and he dived in for a kiss. I managed to turn my cheek at the last second and smirk. "Fair enough," he smiled nervously. I kissed him on his cheek too.

"I'll see you at school,"

"See ya tomorrow," he skipped to his car.

*

"Hey baby girl, you doing anything tonight?" Billy approached me at my locker.

"I don't think so. Why?"

"Let's make an appearance as an official couple" the way he was leaning on the lockers made my heart feel like it was going to burst out of my chest. What is going on with me?

"Do you have a family dinner tonight or something?" I shut my locker. Take this as a job Deb. That's all it is.

"No, I was thinking we go to a party tonight,"

"Are you serious? Wouldn't you rather go bowling or on a private date? And take some Polaroids to show your parents?" We were walking towards his car now. The boy hesitated.

"Right. Of course. I forgot how much alone time you keep wanting to spend with me," he smirked. It made me smile as well.

"I'll catch a ride home with Harrington and you can pick me up at about 5? We can grab dinner as well" I playfully slapped his chest because I was excited about food.

"Harrington?" Billy cleared his throat, "I didn't know you two were so chummy. Sure, that sounds-"

"Hey! Byers!" A girl called out my name, I turned and saw Betty.

"Oh shit," I grabbed Billy to make sure he wasn't going anywhere.

"Did you honestly TP my house?!" She was about 5 feet away from me, I squeezed Billy's arm tighter. What do I do? People started gathering around us, "the rain made the paper stick to everything! I had to clean a fucking tree!"

"Ha," I accidentally laughed, "look I'm sorry you got pranked or whatever but I had nothing to do with it. Why would I?" I kept calm and moved forward, Billy had kept close behind me.

"Because!" I shrugged at her response and looked at Billy who just chuckled a bit, "because you know that I'm the one who started the rumour about you and Steve in the bathroom, okay?" Her volume dropped significantly.