Chapter 2: Dreaming

I can't stop thinking about that kiss, it wasn't my first kiss but it was certainly my first actual great kiss. The way our lips interlocked just seemed so right, I've never kissed anyone with such moist lips he must use a lot of lip balm.
I was with Nancy, we were in her room doing homework but mainly talking, I'm wondering if I should tell her about Billy.

"Deb...Deb! Hello! Earth to Debbie! Are you even listening?"

"Yes! Absolutely!" I tried playing it off as if I was actually listening. I cleared my throat, "What was the question?"

"I asked you what conventions you're using for your scene?" we were writing our speeches for a test coming up.

"Always go for mise-en-scene because then it flows on to colour/tone and framing,"

"You only use those three?"

"Who always gets an A in English?" I asked rhetorically, of course, she just rolled her eyes and closed her notebook.

"Okay, whats going on? You seem distracted" this girl is so persistent that I know its pointless lying to her so I sighed and flopped down on her bed, "ooh its juicy isn't it?"

"I kiffed Biwy Argo" I spoke into her pillow so I was quiet and muffled.

"Didn't get that" she whispered in my ear so I lifted my head.

"I kissed Billy Hargrove,"

"Ugh," she gagged a little, "sorry but why?"

"Believe it or not it was to get out of trouble...I almost got caught smoking on school grounds," Nancy pushed me.

"I thought you only smoked at parties,"

"Don't be ridiculous. I don't go to parties," I joked.

"So how was Billy involved?"

"I was feeling sick during first period so Leeming sent me out with Billy to get some water and fresh air. I had one before school because I was late and stressing out and I dropped the packet before walking into class and it turned out that he was the one who picked it up. So he just smoked and said I could too...I don't know why I did," I paused, maybe I just wanted to hang out with someone, "anyway, we were walking back and we got caught so I told him to take the blame since Mom would kill me if she found out"

"And he obviously did in exchange for a kiss?"

"Sort of yeah" I rubbed my sweaty palms together, "it was also kind of maybe my fault for feeling challenged"

"Debbie" she sounded disappointed and buried her face in her palms.

"Principal Murphy just couldn't keep her mouth shut. Why wouldn't someone believe you when you say you're in a secret relationship? Why ask for proof?"

"You said you were in a relationship with Billy?!" she was so shocked.

"Its a really complicated story and I cannot explain it in any way that makes me seem sane, okay?" I stood up and took my bag, "I have to pick up the boys from the arcade,"

"Hey Deb," Nancy sang, I turned, "was it good?" I smiled but threw a pillow at her.

*

"Pleasure's real or is it fantasy"  I sang along to the Blondie song while picking out the dirt from under my nails.

"Oh it's real sweetheart," I jumped at the voice, it was Billy.

"What are you doing here?" my tone was rude, I was more panicked than anything.

"Relax princess, I'm not stalking you. I'm picking my Dad's Wife's kid up" he was leaning against my car. The way he was standing offered me the opportunity to peek down his white shirt but I stopped myself-okay no I didn't. It was awesome, even if it was only for a moment. And that sight mixed with his scent definitely made me understand why girls were always hanging around him.