Chapter 13

So far the summer vacation was going great. Kevin and I met on a regular basis, if he was free. He rarely seemed to get a day off. I could never understand these hardworking adults. But I guess its fine for him since he simply loved his job.

Its my first time spending time with someone older than me apart from my parents, and surprisingly it didn't feel weird. He actually blended very well and knew the life of a teenager.

Of course he would suddenly up and run away when duty calls, leaving behind a blank faced me supporting a fake wide grin saying him I'm okay.

Sigh, is it too much to want to spend some quality time?

Adam on the other hand refuses to leave home unless I tag along. My parents don't disagree saying it's best if we moved together chances of getting lost being less. Yeah dad and mom, treat me like a 7 year old.                                                                                                                                                       Not that I don't like being with my brother. Hes one of the most fun filled person to be around with. But, when I'm with him, I feel a little empty wondering why I couldn't be with a certain someone rather than my brother. Am I being too greedy?

Why does he always work? Why did he have to get caught in a never ending case? I mean he's dealing with a mom who lost her child 14 years ago. Is there even a chance of finding her? Not to be heartless, but this is a vast world, not a little town with a handful of people. The girl could be anywhere! I could only imagine though the trauma and heartbreak the mom would have gone through after losing her baby. She hadn't wanted to conceive another child until she found her daughter. Sigh

I sat by the Archibald fountain in Hyde park legs crossed staring at a couple of kids throwing a ball at one another. I'm guessing I look suspicious since many gave me weird looks.

"Should we report her?"

"what Do you think she's planning to do?"

oh I don't know, maybe grab the kids ball and make a run for it?

To hell with them thinking i'm gonna kidnap a kid. I'm bored and sweating like a pig sitting out in the open under the scorching hot sun. Excuse me while I look at these wonderful children wondering where they get all this energy from.

Of all days, Adam just had to get a heatstroke today leaving me all to myself. The idiot had tried to crawl himself out of the couch to accompany me only to be glared at by my mom.

"Where do you think you're going?" She sized up on him, holding her hips firmly.

"But, didn't you say its not safe for us to be separated?"                                                                   seriously Adam? What are you in the 1700s?

"Oh, for heaven's sake she can take care of herself out there without you having to babysit her." Ah, you only realised this now after making him follow me all around for the past couple of weeks?

"so you can just sit here and cool yourself down." She said firmly

"But Mom," She cut his whining off with a don't-talk-back- glare and he slumped back crossing his arms looking moody.

"I'll bring back something for you Ad." I said ruffling his hair. The only response was silence. His eyes didn't move from the floor. Sighing I left waving at mom and closes the door behind me.