Chapter 2

Chapter 2

The flight was no picnic. Sure, it wasn't very long and they gave us peanuts, but I got stuck with John. He was poking me and messing with my purse, basically doing anything that would annoy me. At one point, he put his head on my shoulder, claiming he was tired. He stayed that way the rest of the flight, no matter how many times I pushed him away.

So you could probably tell how happy I was when the plane finally landed and I was free at last. I could've literally kissed the ground. Once everyone got their luggage, we waited at the airport for my Aunt Karen to pick us up.

"Was everyone comfortable on the flight?" My dad asked.

"No," I responded glumly.

"I was," John said. "But I'm only speaking for myself." He glanced at me, a smirk on his face.

"Well," my mom said, approaching us. "I was just on the phone with Karen and she said she was right at the entrance, so she should be here about-" a horn sounded from a silver minivan. Through her window, you could see Aunt Karen smiling at us. "Now." Mom finished. "Alright everyone, gather up your things and load it up."

I walked in the back of the group, tired from the flight, and let dad put my suitcase in. John made me get in the back, because he and mom took the two seats on the middle row, and dad sat in the passenger seat. So I was unfortunately stuck in the back seat. On the bright side I get a whole row to myself.

When everyone was settled in their seats, Aunt Karen pulled off. "I am so happy you guys came to visit us." She had a hint of a southern accent now, unlike when she lived in California. I just hope that doesn't happen to me. "Everyone's so excited."

"We're just glad that you're letting us stay in your house." My mom replied. "I hope it's not too much trouble."

"Of course not. You're my sister; nothing is ever too much trouble when it comes to you. Besides, it's only two of us living in that big old house. I mean, it's not literally old, but it definitely isn't young either. Six bedrooms are quite lonely for two people sometimes."

Two people? What's she talking about? She's definitely not married. Well, at one point she was, but then he left her for a skinny blonde model. I know, it sounds like something from a movie, which is why Aunt Karen laughed about it more than she cried. What kind of thirty-nine year old dates a twenty year old model? It's absolutely gross. Anyway, I wonder who her second person is.

"Aunt Karen?" I said.

"Yes, pumpkin?"

"What do you mean two people?"

"Oh, my son. Well, I guess he's not really my son at all, but he's my friend's son, but he lives with me now."

"Why?"

She looked a bit uncomfortable. "Let's just say something came up."

"Oh, okay." I knew that when Aunt Karen looked uncomfortable, I didn't need to know about it. She's an open book, telling people anything and everything, even about her personal life. I'm pretty sure that everyone knows when Aunt Karen doesn't say something, it's better you didn't know about it. So I left the situation alone.

"Hey Aunt Karen," John leaned forward in his seat. "Do you still have those old cats?"

"No, honey. They died ages ago. Why?"

"I was just going to experiment with them. You know, see how old cats operate when their death is right around the corner."

Aunt Karen blinked at him through the rearview mirror. "John, honey, is there something wrong with your head? That was a very disturbing experiment you know."