Chapter 4

"We need to leave," I said. "Being in a city during this... epidemic is dangerous."

"So, you believe me?" Elise smiled victoriously.

"I guess." I returned the smile, feeling it impossible to hold back anyway.

However, her smile dropped as soon as my rose and she said, "I'm still mad at you."

"At least you're safe, baby girl." I laid my hand on hers that was on the ice, feeling the coldness of the ice from hers. I frowned and flinched slightly when she took it back abruptly, causing my hand to drop the weight onto it. Give a girl a little warning first.

"Stop doing that."

"Doing what?"

Elise rolled her eyes instead of answering my simple question.

"Let's get to packing," I said while rising to my feet to change the subject.

"Could we stop by my place after?"

"Do we really need to?"

"Yes." Elise glared at me, finding every little reason to be mad at me. Here we go. "It's not fair if you're only able to pack your clothes and other belongings."

"You have a lot of clothes and other belongings left here. What's mine is yours"

"We're still going to my place."

"Fine," I agreed with a sigh.

She smiled happily at the prospect of always getting her way.

I was careful packing my bag, as one hand could only hold so much weight and I wasn't about to just use one. I used my good hand for the heavier necessities and if need be, my forearm that was connected to the bad hand. Let me tell you, it was a difficult process. A few times, I caught the amused smile of Elise, but I was not amused.

When my bag was packed to the max, without being closed yet, I went to grab my knife from my bedstand. I always kept one there because little strings on my sleep shirts or comforter would annoy me. It came in handy a lot.

"Is that necessary?" Elise asked as I brought it to the side zipper of my bag.

"Absolutely, do you not remember being outside?"

"Okay, you have a point."

"I always do," I teased even though I knew she wasn't going to be saying those words to me again anytime soon.

"Don't get cocky with me now."

"You love it."

"Are we ready to go now?" Elise asked impatiently.

"Yeah, I guess." I tried to close my bag but the zipper kept getting caught on various pieces of fabric. Completely forgetting about my hand, I pushed down with that on the clothes. The pain was immediate. "Fuck!" I cradled my damaged hand delicately.

"Idiot," my ex-girlfriend mumbled before helping me out. It looked so easy when she did it.

"Thank you." I slung the bag over my shoulder, groaning at the weight, and gestured for her to go first.

Elise walked out of my bedroom, and we turned everything off along the way before going to the front door. I thought about grabbing food, as it could get spoiled while I was away, but I decided that carrying more items around would be a hassle. We could always hit up a grocery store or something if they were open. This probably wouldn't last long.

"Okay, so-" I peeked out the window "-the coast is clear. Just rush to my car as fast as possible. Stay beside me, okay?" I emphasized the last part pointedly for its importance.