Chapter 12

I tapped my fingertips against the barrel of my pistol as the three girls sunbathed beside me. They claimed they needed to soak up the sun before I barricaded the doors. Of course, we would still be able to leave; it would only take a bit more time moving everything. I already nailed the windows closed, but I would have to do something about covering the glass because that was breakable. I only wanted us all to be safe just in case something happened.

"Nat," Elise called out. She tried tapping my thigh, but I was just too far out of arm's reach.

"Hm?" I turned my eyes to her rather than the water and treeline. My mouth dried immediately at the realization of her only being down to her underwear. Fuck, I could've been staring at this babe the entire time instead of watching for danger like some loser.

"Now you finally look at me."

I wiggled my eyebrows as I very obviously checked out her amazing body.

Elise smiled and gestured me closer with a curl of her index finger.

Instead of complying with her wishes, I grabbed the bottom of her chair and effortlessly pulled her closer to my chair. Now that she was in kissing distance, I tucked the gun under my thigh (the safety was on) and peppered her face with kisses until she was giggling.

"I liked it better when you were ignoring her," Lyza commented.

I was ready to get up and smack the sass out of her, but Gemma beat me to it. She punched my best friend's arm hard enough to make her flinch.

"Ha!" I laughed.

"Shut up." Lyza rubbed her arm where she was hit and gave Gemma the best puppy dog eyes she could muster as if to ask why.

Elise leaned into my side, her body practically halfway on my chair. She felt insanely warm, so I tried wrapping my arms around her. She instantly shied away and avoided my arms, so I frowned at the rejection.

"It's warm out, and I'm all sweaty," she explained.

"Okay." I still continued frowning.

Elise rolled her eyes and gave me a kiss to wipe the frown off my lips. It was impossible to not smile after that.

"You're cute," she said against my lips.

"You're cuter."

"Oh stop."

"Please do," Lyza said. She always ruined our moments.

"Let's go somewhere where we're not interrupted," I said lowly. "Lyza is a dick."

"But I want to tan," Elise whined.

"We can tan twenty feet away."

"Are you serious?"

I nodded.

"Goddammit." Elise moved off the chair and onto her feet.

"You're ridiculous," Lyza yelled after us as we dragged the chairs away. The plastic legs of the chair caught the grass and left skid marks on our trail.

"Keep your voice down," I scolded.

Elise and I deposited our chairs comfortably beside each other. I slid my arm around the back of her chair and was surprised Lyza didn't continue yelling at us about how childish it was to move away or something similar. I spared a glance at them to see why and grinned.

Gemma had her lips close to Lyza's ear as she stared forward and grew increasingly red in the face. I wondered what she was saying to her because I knew it had to be inappropriate to make that girl blush.