Chapter 11

That night, Elise finally agreed to sleep in my bed again. I was overjoyed when she agreed to come upstairs and even more so when she curled herself onto my body like she always did. I felt like it had been forever since we slept in a comfortable bed. I sure did miss her and the way her body fit against mine perfectly.

She shifted against my side, turning her head slightly and kissing my neck. I grinned as I ran my fingers through her soft hair. Her response was a harder kiss closer to my jawline.

"What do you think you're doing?" I whispered.

"Just kissing you." Elise nuzzled my jaw with her nose and brushed her lips over it.

"Mhm."

"Is that an issue?"

"No." I smiled sleepily and in contentment as she sucked lightly on my neck. If I wasn't so tired, things would be going a lot differently.

Her tongue ran over the spot that I was sure was bruised before she kissed it and finally rested her head down on my shoulder again. She breathed softly against my collarbone, so I knew she was falling into sleep.

"Night, baby," I said. "I love you."

"To the moon and back?"

"To the moon and back."

The night was peaceful and, unlike the last time we slept in the bed, she didn't wake up to puke. It was my first full night's rest in days. I believed things were turning around, and she really was going to be okay.

"Baby girl," an angelic voice whispered in my ear.

I groaned as I rolled to my back to face the source of the voice. My eyes met beautiful, brown ones, and I reached out to check if she was real. Her hand met mine halfway and held it tightly.

"Good morning," Elise said.

"Good morning," I rasped out. I cleared my throat after hearing the sound of my own voice. "How are you feeling, sweetheart?"

"Amazing. Well-rested."

"I'm glad to hear that."

"Want to go downstairs and get some breakfast?"

"In a minute." I pulled her on top of me and tightly wrapped my arms around her slim waist.

"I won't argue." Elise snuggled further into me.

To my surprise, there was breakfast waiting for us when we made our appearance. A lot of breakfast. I could understand their happiness about wanting to make a grand breakfast for Elise, but our food supply was getting so low. We didn't like the thought of having to go out to somehow find more because it was so dangerous. What happened to Elise could happen to us, except we may not be so lucky.

"Good morning," Lyza said with a wide smile. "Take a seat, and I'll load your plates up with food."

I directed Elise to her seat with a light hand on her back and pushed the chair closer to the table when she sat. Kissing the top of her head, I took the seat beside her and smiled at Gemma across from me who beamed at us.

"So, what are you feeling?" Lyza put our plates down in front of us. "Everything okay."

"Jesus." I ran my fingers through my hair when multiple waffles were set on my plate. Next came breakfast sausage and eggs. "Did you make the entire fridge?"

"Basically."

"You realize we have to pace ourselves with food, right? It's not infinite. We can't just safely go to the grocery store to pick up some food."