Chapter 8

"Thanks, Nat." Elise adjusted her bag strap on her shoulder.

I helped out the other two girls, and I gestured us all to come together with my hands.

"So, they're all near the door. We could make a run for the door," I suggested... as if it wasn't obvious.

"There's no way we're outrunning them," Lyza whispered.

"That's not the spirit."

"Really, they're closer to the car. We all have eyes-"

"Fuck, I don't know. Wait!" I rested my arm around Elise's and leaned in closer to everyone. "You guys go around the other side of the cabin." I looked at Elise. "Make sure they do not see you."

My fiancee raised her eyebrows and demanded, "And what are you planning on doing, Nat?"

"I'm going to make some noise and circle back around."

"Yeah, no. I think the fuck not."

"I'm just going to throw a rock, babe. I'll be careful."

"Please, don't," she pleaded.

"Go around." I handed Lyza my bag, seeing as she had a small one, and pushed Elise away from me by the small of her back. "Be careful."

Elise gave me a look and stared hard at me, but I didn't break. She knew I was going to do that no matter what to keep them safe. When she finally nodded, I breathed out in relief.

"You be careful too," she said. She softly kissed my cheek.

Lyza squeezed my arm to silently support me, and Gemma gave me a small smile. 

I handed Elise my keys and said, "Go to my car when they're far enough."

Elise nodded, and they all walked away to the other side of the cabin. She looked the most reluctant, as expected.

I took a deep breath and turned the corner. I really hoped my idea didn't come back to bite me in the ass.

Picking up two large rocks, I peeked around to the front. I saw them all exactly where they have been the whole time; they barely moved a muscle.

Swinging my arm back, I chucked the first rock as hard as possible at a tree. The sound was decently loud as it cracked against the bark, so I backed up and threw the other as close to the first one as I could. I immediately pressed my back against the side of the cabin as I heard them heading for it with heavy feet dragging ungracefully. That was when I decided to run for it.

As I reached the corner the girls were just at as they waited on me to make some noise, I saw they were already in the cars. The noise of the car doors opening and closing appeared to have attracted those things back that way, which was quite unfortunate for me. 

"Fuck," I mumbled under my breath as I sprinted for my car. It was anything but a long run; however, I was very much out of shape and was over-exerting myself.

They were quick, and I didn't think they got as tired as me. From the way they snarled and chased after me, they clearly weren't having as much trouble as I was. My heart was pounding out of fear. What would they do if they caught me?

"Babe, hurry up!" Elise yelled in a shaky voice. 

That was what I needed to hear--her voice.

I jumped, or rather dived, in the backseat through the door they luckily opened for me. Lyza drove off the second I landed inside, and I wobbily managed to close the door from her sharp turn around. I barely had time to take a breath before Elise was suffocating me in a hug.