Chapter 5

We hauled everything necessary inside after taking a brief tour of the place to size it up. Because there were only two rooms, which were across from each other in the small hall, I was forced to claim the couch. Lyza had obvious dibs because she drove, and I wasn't about to let Elise sleep on the couch. It wasn't bad though, as it was a pull-out couch.

"Cute, little kitchen," Lynn commented as she circled around the room. She joined me on my couch/ bed with a smile after she was done briefly exploring.

"At least we have one,"

"Touche."

"What's Elise doing?" I asked quietly, afraid she would hear me say her name and jump at me with her claws loose.

"Why don't you go find out for yourself?" Lyza patted my back encouragingly. "Go win her back."

"She's mad at me now though."

"Stop being a little bitch. She loves you."

I rolled my eyes and stood from the couch just to get away from her bullying. As rudely as she said it, she did have a point. Elise could glare at me all she wanted, but I knew she loved me. I saluted my best friend, making her laugh, and headed to the room on the right.

Even though the door was wide open, I knocked on the door frame to be respectful.

"May I come in?" I asked politely.

Elise shrugged, and I took that as a yes.

"Why are you in here all alone?" I sat carefully at the foot of her bed, as far away from her as possible.

"Maybe I want to be alone."

"Can I keep you company?"

"What part of..." Elise stopped her possible, angry rant by closing her eyes and softly inhaling. That was progress. "Natasha, I get angry when I see you, and I don't want to say things to get you angry with me too."

"Then let me help you be less angry when you see me."

"It's not that easy."

"I like the challenge." I smiled charmingly as I scooted further up her bed to her. I stopped by her hip and leaned down slightly, leveraging my hand on the other side of her body, and cupped her cheek gently. I was afraid to move because she let me go that fair, watching quietly. It felt so good to have contact with her again without her slapping my hand or shoving me away. "And you. I happen to really, really like you."

"Is that right?" Elise teased. Her bottom lip was pulled between her white teeth, and it was overwhelmingly attractive at such a close distance.

Goddamn.

"Can I please kiss you?" I whispered.

She put her hand on my shoulder and as she sat up, she pushed me with her. That meant our lips, unfortunately, did not get any closer. When we were both upright, she caressed my cheek before sliding off the bed. I let out a defeated sigh and fell forward onto her pillow. To be fair, I did the same thing to her.

"Your bed is so much comfier," I mumbled into it.

"I imagine it's not hard to beat a pull-out couch bed."

Frowning, I turned my head to look at her. "Can I stay in here?"

Elise shook her head, an unreadable expression on her face.

Feeling that was enough rejection from her in a span of five minutes, I stood up and headed for the door. At least she wasn't so hard about it. It could have been a lot worse, with a lot more yelling.