Chapter 7

"Well, uh," I clear my throat and start to talk. "So, I lived here most of my life, and uh, my family was always poor, we didn't have much money and well, I guess we still are. My mother died from a disease and my father started drinking and smoking a lot and also gets mad sometimes and yells at me which is why I don't really like going home. And that's about it."

"Wow," he says, I look up hesitantly to see if he's judging me, but instead what I saw was pity.

"Ya I know." I let out a humorless laugh.

"Hey," he grabs my chin when I looked down, and says sternly. "If you ever need a place to stay, or you don't want to go home to your father, just know that I'll always be here, you can come to my house anytime you want."

"Thank you, Joseph." I say my heart warming once again at his kind words. What did I do to deserve you?

"Come on, we are going out." He says and grabs my hand and his coat.

We get in the car and Joseph starts the car.

"Where are we going?"

"You'll find out soon enough." He stops by a cloths shop.

"What are we doing here?" I ask.

"Buying you new cloths."

"Wait what, Joseph you don't have to."

"But I want to, come on." We go inside and I'm met by an assortment of rows and rows of cloths.

We walk around to the women's section and he lets me pick out a dress. I pick a simple blue below knee dress.

"Go try it on." I go to the changing room and put it on.

"You done?" I hear Joseph's voice.

"Uh, I need help, zipping this up" I say embarrassed.

"Alright come here."

I walked out and turned my back to him. I feel his gentle hands on my back and a shiver runs down my spine. when he zips it up, I turn around.

Joseph just stares. And he mutters something I didn't catch.

"What?"

"Beautiful". I blush immediately.

"We are definitely buying it,"

I take it off and we take it to the cashier and purchase the dress.

While we were walking to the car, I looked at his hand and thought about holding it. No i can't, what if someone from our school was here. We get in the car and he starts driving back to his house.

"Thank you for this Joseph,"

"Anytime."

When we return to the house, we spend a few hours just talking about ourselves and asking questions.

Finally, it was time for me to go home. He drives me to my street and I walk the rest of the way. When I get home my dad was in the living room half asleep, half drunk. I go upstairs and sleep.

Monday came and Jeremy stopped giving me trouble, thank god.

I thought about going to Joseph during lunch. So when lunch came I knocked on Joseph's class door.

"Come in." A voice said.

I open the door and Joseph looks up at me, getting up from his seat and walking to me.

"What are you doing here?" He asks.

"I uh, wanted to see y-you."

Joseph smiles. He goes to close the door and he grabs me by the waist and pulls me closer.