Chapter 4 - Roy's Vacancy Motel Cafe

~Recap~

Dan puts his hand out, ready to shake my hand. I grab his wrist and put it up in a high five position, and high five him. We both start laughing as the bell rings and we gather our belongings. We place our backpacks on and walk out of the classroom, continuing our video game discussion.

*End Of Flashback/Dream*

I feel a gentle grip on my shoulder and it shaking me as I faintly hear someone continuously telling me to 'wake up'. I open my eyelids slightly, letting my eyes adjust. I feel the shaking stop and the grip no longer there. I open my eyes wider and yawn, stretching as far out as I can. I realize we're still in the car and I take in my surroundings. The sun is setting making the sky a beautiful orange color, the thousands of trees still lining the road. The birds making their last chirps and no one else in sight. I realize the car's parked on the side of the road, and I look around in the car. I look to my left and see Dan look at me with a relieved look, and, worry? I turn around and see no one in the back. I start freaking out inside as I turn to Dan with worry in my eyes, "Dan, why are we stopped and where's everyone else?"

"Nanci, promise me you won't freak out?"

I nod my head in an assurance that I will TRY not to freak out.

"The car stopped working."

________________________________________________________________________________

'30 minutes earlier, Dan's POV'

I continue to drive on the same road with the same-looking trees surrounding us. I see from the corner of my eye that Nanci had fallen asleep. I stop at a red blinking stop-light, even though I don't think it was supposed to be there. I turn to Nanci and I feel like I enter a trance. Just looking at her beautiful face makes me smile. Andy clears his throat which breaks me from my trance. 

"Hey, Dan why are we stopped when no one is around and the stop-light doesn't work?"

Candy looks up from her phone with an 'are you serious' look on her face before she starts to speak, "You dingus," she slaps him on the back of the head and he yelps in pain as he brings his hand to the back of his head and rubs it soothingly, "He stopped to stare at the 'Love Of His Life'!!!" She squeals like a fangirl, "Naniel forever!!"

Phil leans forward a little, in between Candy and Andy and looks at Candy with a fake serious face, "Candy, watch out! If you hit him too hard, he'll get dumber!" Everyone in the car starts laughing as Dan smiles.

Dan remembers that Nanci is still sleeping and he wants her to get a good rest. He clears his throat and everyone looks at him with slightly confused faces as he speaks in a half-whisper, "Guys, Nanci's still sleeping. She had a long night last night so we need to at least quiet down a little bit... Please?"

Everyone nodded their heads and went back to what they were doing. I continue driving with the radio playing Sarcasm by Get Scared on a low volume. The car starts to smoke up in the front and everyone starts murmuring in the back. I drive to the side of the road and the car swerves a little before coming to a complete stop parked perfectly on the side of the road. The radio is no longer playing music and the soft humming from the car is no longer there. I couldn't see anything with the cloud of smoke in the front of the car. As some smoke seeped through the windows, everyone besides the sleeping Nanci gets out of the car. Some come out coughing while others luckily didn't breathe it in. We all come to the side of the car facing the empty street. Everyone has worried and scared looks on their faces and are kinda getting out of control. The calmest person here, Phil, tries to rile everyone down and his techniques always work. Everyone looks at the two of us with the look of confusion, slight worry, fear, and 'so, what's the game plan?' Phil and I stand side by side looking each other in the eyes. We've been friends for longer than most of the people in the group so, we can read each other like books.