Chapter Twelve: Girly-squealy-freaky-thing

Okayy I may have deleted a chapter and a half. The people who read those are lucky to have had a bit more Dave and Maddie time. Some things (not much tbh) are going to be different. If you haven't read them- it's better this way, trust me. Those chapters were...let's put it nicely...trash.

"Chapter Twelve: Girly-squealy-freaky-thing"

---------------------------------------------------------------

"I can't believe we're going to New York tomorrow!" Kristen squealed. Picking up her books after the bell rang for the last time today. We got up from our seats and headed towards the hallway.

"I can't believe you just actually squealed," I exclaimed, but smiled nevertheless.

"Ow come on, I know you can't wait to go too," she said, nudging me with her elbow.

"Of course I'm excited, but did you forget where we're supposed to sleep? The motel is probably crowded with rats," I shivered. 

I've had this horrible rat phobia since my teacher told me to go fetch something from the janitors closet and when I opened the door, three HUGE rats crawled out. They ran over my shoes with their sharp, long nails and started running around in the hallway. I screamed so loud that I started crying and almost twenty people came rushing out of their classrooms. Someone even called 911. 

"Or mouses, cockroaches, lice...Oh! Maybe even bats!" Liam said, looking deep in thought when he walked over to us.

"You idiot! Don't freak her out even more. You know how scared she is of those," Kristen told him, punching him hard in his arm.

"It's just one night, Maddie, you have nothing to worry about. I'll be there too. Just focus on New York. We're going to FREAKING NEW YORK!" Kristen shouted and hugged me tightly.

"Thanks, Krissy." I smiled at her when she let me go.

"Okay, okay, are you girls done with the whole girly-squealy-freaky-thing?" Liam asked, looking annoyed. That earned him two glares.

Everyone walked to their lockers, which weren't that far apart, I mean Paul literally had one at the other side of the building and he was always complaining about it.

As I took my books out of my locker, Hale leaned onto the lockers next to me. "Hey," I greeted him, giving him a small smile.

"Hey, Maddie." He smiled broadly at me. "So, uhm, I was wondering if you were free tonight?" he asked, looking straight into my eyes. He raised his eyebrow in suspense.

I looked anywhere but at him.

Oh god, not this again...

He had been doing this since that stupid kiss in a closet when we were playing a stupid 'seven minutes in heaven' game eight freaking years ago. EIGHT! We were still awkward before-glow-up preteens with braces. How could that have been romantic, like, AT ALL?

He really needed to get over it...

I told him so many times that I wasn't interested and just wanted to be friends, but he just kept pushing it sometimes. I couldn't exactly ignore him since he was on the team, but sometimes I really wish I could. He stopped sending me letters and all and I thought he stopped asking me out all the time, but clearly, I thought wrong.

"No, sorry Hale, I have work today," I answered. I wasn't even lying. I did have to work at the snack bar today.

"And how about tomorrow?" He asked again and bit his lip, trying not to look disappointed.

"Hale I told you like a thousand times, we were eight! This-" I gestured between the two of us, "-is never going to happen! I don't see you that way. I'm sorry." I slammed my locker shut and walked away from him.

"But... I feel something and I know you feel it too! I'll be here for you when you stop denying it!" he exclaimed, grabbing my wrist.

"I. Am. Not. In. Denial. I don't feel anything for you aside from friendship. Goodbye, Hale." I tore my hand out of his grip and started fast-walking towards the exit. I didn't even bother looking around to see his reaction.

I hated this.

I hated having to talk sense into that thick brain of his everytime.

It wasn't fun at all for me to have to turn my friend down like that so many times.

I stomped onto the parking lot and walked towards my bike. It looked so sad between all the shining cars and motorcycles. Out of place.

I unlocked my bike, rolled it out of the shed and took off.

The sun was warm on my skin as I rode past the beautiful sight of-

Oh, who am I kidding, it was awful to have to ride home on a freaking bike after a tiring day at school.

Splash!

Too distracted by my own thoughts I drove through an enormous puddle of water.

Perfect.

My jeans were completely soaked from my knees down. My shoes made a squishing sound when I got on my bike again. I groaned.

Just freaking perfect.

"What's the karma for?" A voice broke me away from my sulking thoughts.

I looked up and saw Dave on his motorcycle examining my dripping wet jeans. "Befriending you," I retorted and rode off. He caught up with me easily.

"And here I was, almost offering you a ride on this," he slapped his hand against the motorcycle.

"You were?" I asked skeptically, meeting his gaze.

"Hell no! I don't want my baby to get wet!" He answered, driving away.

"Asshole!" I yelled at him over the noise his motorcycle was producing. He heard it and threw his head back laughing.

Mental reminder: punch Dave.

------

next chapter coming soon! It's almost done. ;)