Chapter 4- I Kinda Maybe Sorta Really a Little Bit Liked it

• Dedicated to All my lovely fans!

I settled down on a reef at the bottom of the ocean, calming down without having to move or go to shore. Nate obviously liked me; that wasn't a secret, nor was he trying to hide it. I kicked my tail a little watching the fish draw near. I had to be about five hundred, maybe six or seven hundred feet under the ocean. Any normal human would crumble from the pressure, and no one could hold their breath this long. I was safe from Nate.

Even though the water was very dark to most, I could see perfectly, as if the water was glass. I sighed, and little bubbles erupted from my mouth. I began to sing.

"Are you happy now? That she's on the ground? And do you realize the words you say are like bruises that don't fade away." The fish began to gather at my tail like little children at story time. "Are you happy now? That you've brought them down. And she's thinking that she won't fit in. 'Cause you said something's wrong with her. Are you happy now?" My voice sounded crystal clear, like a bell. It was sweet and intriguing. I could woo any boy with its sound.

**

I woke up, refreshed and ready to face school; to face him. It had come to the point where I was afraid of him. Or was I just afraid of myself? Of what I'd become? I didn't even know anymore. This Nate guy just shows up in my life and screws everything up.

And just like that, my morning had turned negative.

I showered (and I'm not even gonna tell you how I do that). I dried off and put on some tan shorts and a plain turquoise tank top. I shoved a pair of lace beige ballet flats on my feet and rushed out the door, slinging my bag onto my shoulder in the process.

As I was walking to school, I heard a car pull up next to me.

"Hey, Ashlyn, why'd you just ditch me yesterday?" Nate asked from the comfort of his cherry red car. Oh, what I wanted to do to that little-

"Nerves." No point in lying. Nate just looked back onto the road, keeping his mouth shut. I could tell he didn't believe me. "Look, I'm really so-"

"Save it, hon," Nate said. I shot him a confused look. Hon? Really? It was kind of cute. And not that I'd ever admit it to his face, but I kinda maybe sorta really a little bit liked it when he called me that. Just a little. Not even a lot or anything, but it kind of warmed my insides.

"Get in the car," he said, raising his eyebrows and smirking. I shrugged and slipped into the passenger's seat, tossing my bag onto the floor by my feet.

I sat there in an uncomfortable awkward silence. I opened my mouth several times to say something but I could never find the words. It was awkward, but I could tell we didn't need words.

Our silence said it all.