Chapter 29

//Kendall//

I had to triple-take the first time I laid eyes on him in two years.
I didn't stare at him to get his attention, I stared because I just couldn't stop the second my eyes met his gorgeous profile.

We were currently sitting on the bus, in silence since we stepped in it.

"So what're you doing back here?" I asked, being brave enough to break the silence.
"Just visiting ma and pa for the Christmas holidays, since shes alwayssss complaining we don't spend enough time together now." He said, calmly, looking anywhere but my eyes.

I would be lying if I said I wasn't a little upset that he didn't intentionally come back for me, or at least say he came back for family AND me.
"Mhm," I said half-heartedly, looking down at my fiddling fingers. But I then saw a larger hand encase my two little ones. I looked up at him, wondering what he wanted. "What about you? I thought you would've moved out of jersey by now, or at least out of town. Or are you visiting family as well?" He asked, removing his hand off mine as soon as I looked him in the eyes.

Was he intimidated by me or something?
Does he not want to talk to me?
Am I no longer the Kendall he fell in love with?
Why can't he look at me straight in my damn eyes?
Is there something wrong with me?

My old self wouldn't hesitate to speak my mind,
but times change, things change,
I change.

"I've moved, but only a street away from the old house, I came to love this little town too much to leave it, but I moved out of the house because some things just became a little too close for comfort a-after you l-left.

Not everyone dreams big, Ethan, they don't have to aspire to be the most famous or richest person to be accomplished in life. And some people have lost just too much to dream anymore."
I said, looking out of the window at the rain-saturated concrete road.
"I get that" he replied, quietly.
To say this was an awkward moment would be too big of an understatement.
"Are you doing anything now? Because I could show you my new apartment if you want..." I asked. I didn't really want him to, since everything is a mess, but we lost contact, and I doubt that we will actually find another chance to meet after this, so I wanna make the most out of this day.
"Well I had to go and get Gray a ride, but I can text Cam to, so sure I'll come." He smiled. My heart quivered and my eyes sparkled at the sight of it.
"No it's alright Ethan if you had other pl-" I waffled on before being interrupted by Ethan.
"Kendall. I'm coming." He said sternly before chuckling.

I missed his laugh.
I missed his smile.
I missed his eyes,
his hair,
his lips.
I missed his corny jokes.
I missed his sense of humour.
I missed his goofiness,
His childishness,
His adorable stupidity.

I missed him.
I really did.