Chapter Two: MIA

The mirror in my room conveyed a picture of normality. The round glasses rested on my nose a little crooked so I have to fix them in a ladylike manner. I was wearing suspenders that reached somewhere beyond my knee. Inside was a plain white tee and slung over my shoulder was a DSLR camera. It was Monday and even I haven't stepped out of the room, I can feel the ladies out there are restless. They were up extra-early, keep talking about moving out, being joyful all the time. Though I am not in favor of this 'Park Jimin's' sudden appearance (in calls only, I cannot blame Jamie and Knightley.

Jamie Vasquez was 17 when she carried Knightley in her womb. After her parents learned that she was with child, they started looking for the father, which disappeared. I would personally say that it was out of cowardice, but Jamie was relieved when Knightley's dad went missing. She was kicked out of her home when she decided to give up her studies for her daughter. Having savings ahead of time, from her allowance, she was able to supply herself until Knightley was born. She took up part-time online jobs and rented herself a small room. I met her and one-year-old Knightley when they were out for groceries. Jamie was my friend in high school, and she never wanted for us to know what happened. I welcomed her into my apartment and offered to help her take care of Knightley, given that I was alone.

After high school, I got an offer to be a photojournalist in training by a famous person in the field. So that's how I winded up in the city, by the sea. We were both in a new city, for a new life, and a new person.  Eastbeach was not a famous city, but it has a lot of views and many choose to settle in it because of its peace. So it is a haven for photographers.

We are the only family Knightley has ever known. So if meeting her dad would make that angel happy, I will be happy for them as well. I heard Jamie shout from downstairs.

"Hey, I'm just going to step out for a while. I'll be back, we can all leave together!" and then the door closed after her.

"Yes, ma'am!" I replied as I tied the shoelaces tightly, something that I always have difficulty in doing so. We live in a two-story white apartment, with two rooms, one for them and one for me. While theirs is neat and simple, mine is pretty messy with a lot of scattered polaroids on the wall and blue and white Christmas lights.  I stepped out of it while stumbling over the books on the floor and slamming into the unclosed wardrobe's door. After closing that wreckage, I adjusted the 'Dannie Santiago's Space' sign outside. I headed to the kitchen to find a hungry Knightley who's ready for school, consuming toasted bread with eggs and milk. That was a breakfast feast at home and we fooled around while doing so.

Soon, 10 minutes passed and I stepped out to look for Jamie. She wasn't there.

15 minutes. I tried calling, no answer.

20 minutes.

"Auntie, if we don't go, I'll be late!" Knightley already wore her knapsack and carried her lunch bag.

"Let's wait for mom a little bit, angel."

25 minutes. I tried calling. Still no answer.

"Did she tell you anything else honey?"

"Nope."

30 minutes. I tried one last time, still no answer.

"Okay, that's it. I'll take you to school. Let's go, It's already 7:40." I lead her to the door and we walked to the school confusingly, Jamie never ditches us like that without a word. When I already saw Knightley running inside her classroom, I finally left.  I made a call and left a voice message.

"Hey, girl? Where are you? Are you serious, leaving us like that?"

I walked the extra mile to head over 7-11, and I looked for her there. There was a restless staff asking about her. She wasn't able to drop by so I covered for her that she's sick. So I thought she wanted a little break, so I moved on with my work and decided not to bother or call her.