Chapter 14: A Departure

Huh, this is one of my shortest chapters in a while...still vital to have happen, though. I hope you'll all enjoy Chapter 14!

Chapter 14

A Departure

"Hey, bring that pile of timber over here!"

"We're on it!" Clemont looked up at the call, seeing Ash and Hau approaching him from near one of the houses. Both of them were busy practically flexing their muscles at one another, as though testing each other. Their Pokémon were, at the very least, competing with one another. Pikachu and Pipi were running around digging new gardens with their tails for the townsfolk while Dartrix and Hau's Torracat were racing to see who could sprinkle the gardens with water the fastest.

"Hey, Clemont, we're ready!" Ash called out, waving his hand. Clemont smiled, pushing his glasses up on his face with a chuckle. "The townsfolk need the lumber up the hill."

"Fear not, Ash. The future is now thanks to science! Clemontic Gear on!" Clemont announced, whipping a white sheet off his latest creation, stationed at the bottom of the slope that was the road through Iki Town. "With my newest machine, the Lumber Lifter, I can hand you large amounts of timber for you to carry up the slope in no time."

"Awesome!" Hau exclaimed, his eyes wide and his mouth drooling a little bit. Clemont had to admit that it was nice to see someone so interested in his creations, but he was almost certain that Hau was really just hungry for some malasadas. The boy hadn't eaten all morning, and he and Ash had been working quite a bit. They all had been doing so in the wake of the damage done to Iki Town. It wasn't too substantial, but enough that Hala had said they should all wait until the following morning to even think about fixing it up.

"And here we go," Clemont demonstrated, pushing a button on his remote control. The machine started up, reaching over with a mechanical hand that shot twine around a stack of lumber and planks before using the hand to lift it upwards, just high enough for Ash and Hau to get underneath either end of it and lift it up easily. Seeing it happen, other townsfolk began making their way over to help out, and soon, the blond inventor saw his Lumber Lifter working at maximum speed. Best of all: it wasn't even blowing up.

"We've got snacks!" Serena's voice called from up the hill after Ash and Hau had taken their third load of lumber up to specific spots. That clearly designated a break time for everyone in the town. Most returned to their homes, but Clemont chose to make the long and exhausting trek up the hill to Hala's house, Luxray somewhat supporting him.

Ash and Hau were quick to make their way inside the Kahuna's house, but Clemont dawdled a little longer. Part of it was due to his usual poor stamina, but the other part had to do with the feelings gnawing away at his chest...feelings no doubt shared by Luxray and Grubbin, somehow. The former was a little harder to tell; only their long time together and the bristling of his fur indicated that Luxray's pride had been hurt. Grubbin was more obvious, as the little bug hadn't gnawed on any of Clemont's machines for almost twenty-four hours. Clemont heaved a sigh, patting his sweaty hands on his shorts and pushing the issue away, replacing it with a smile as he entered into the house.

"Wow, these malasadas are amazing, Serena!" Hau's voice was heard before being followed by a snarfing noise as the boy consumed them.

"Didn't I tell you, Hau! Sherena ish shomeshing elshe!" Ash responded, his own mouth full.

"Ash..." Serena called in her scolding tone; one that even Clemont shuddered from. He continued walking forward in time for Serena to change back over to her usual sweet tone. As he did, he saw Ash swallowing apologetically. "I'm not the only one who made them. Lillie helped me out quite a bit."