Chapter 4

Scott's POV

"Hey, kiddo?" Mom asked as I came down the stairs after making myself look presentable for this "hangout" with him, which I was not looking forward to in the slightest. "Remember to behave, and don't hide anything, alright? I'll be home at around twoish"

I nodded, hugging her tightly and saying goodbye to her, before she left for her late shift at the hospital. After setting up a bit and ordering dinner, I soon saw his car pull in, which had me swallowing tightly before saying to myself sarcastically. 'Let the fun begin.'

Then the doorbell rang.

I went to the door and opened it, to be greeted by the same man I had a huge fight with three days ago.

"Hey, Scott."

I forced a smile, moving out of the way and inviting him in. He made himself at home in the living room while I closed the door, and shoved my now clawed hand into my pocket, taking a deep breath in order to calm down, making my way to the couch to sit beside him.

"So, tell me what's been going on. How's school?"

"School's been going pretty well. I'm getting my grades up and I've been told by my science teacher that I'll most likely be in AP biology in senior year. I'm first line in lacrosse currently and the MVP of the team." I rattled off, knowing school was a easy topic to talk about for once in my life.

"Do you have a girlfriend?" He asked, which led me to look down, as talking about my confusing love life was a slightly harder topic, even though it soon enough rolled off my tongue.

"No, I'm single. But I have my eyes on someone right now. Her name is Kira Yukimura. She moved here in the beginning of the school year. Her mom works at a bank and her dad is our history teacher. She's so sweet, and a great friend. She is a bit of a klutz sometimes, and rambles a lot, but it's so cute every time."

He nodded, pulling out a pizza slice before asking. "So, did you ever talk to that Derek guy? He seems sketchy and I'd rather you not be around him."

And now the conversation I didn't want to have which yet again, had me digging my hand into my pocket as I responded, trying to conceal my anger.

"Yeah, I did. Turns out he's my older brother. And one of my best friends even before this, so I'm gonna keep hanging out with him."

"Is everything okay? You seem really angry."

"I'm angry by how you judged my friend, my BROTHER without even knowing him." I seethed, gently clawing my leg in order to calm myself down, which I was able to do shortly after I explained myself.

"Probably just paternal instinct." He apologized, which led me to raise my eyebrow in confusion.

"You haven't had that for ten years."

"You know how I'm engaged to Rachel Morris and getting married within two months?"

"Yeah..." I trailed off, wondering where this could go and confused as to where it could go. But the answer I received was the worst possibility.

"Rachel is expecting."

I muttered under my breath, not wanting him to hear at all. "I can't believe you're ruining another child's life." However, he heard that easily as he demanded to know what I meant by that. "How soon before their bottle of milk becomes your bottle of alcohol? Before you hurt them while drunk? Abandon them? It's a cycle; you can easily go back."

"Scott, I haven't drank heavily in ten years."

"Never say never." I seethed, feeling my claws come out for the third time that night.