The Way Your Hand Fits In Mine

Cassandra had followed the sound of a raised voice through the stacks of the Library's architecture section. She finally came across Stone as he tossed his phone so it skittered to the edge of a long bench before he sank onto it, his head in his hands.

She sat next to him quietly and softly asked, "It didn't go well?"

He didn't lift his head from his hands. "Carrie sided with Pop. I'm not welcome in her house. I just wanted to see the new baby . . . ."

"I know," Cassandra said. "I'm so sorry, Jacob."

"Thanks, but there's nothing you need to feel sorry for."

"Doesn't mean I don't feel it. I know how much you love your family despite everything. I love mine too despite everything. I wish there was something I could do to help."

Jacob sighed but she knew it was more from frustration and resignation at everything. He still hadn't looked at her. She raised a hand and trailed it up his arm, finally succeeded in removing one of his hands from his face. He looked at her as she took that hand into hers, lacing their fingers together. He didn't speak but slowly his expression changed from upset and despair and he gave her a small smile.

They sat there for several minutes, just holding hands across the bench. Finally, Stone moved his hand but when Cassandra meant to pull away, he captured her hand again, readjusting the grip. She smiled softly as he raised their hands between them.

"I like the way your hand fits in mine," he said, the look on his face gentle.

"I do too," Cassandra bit her lip. "Jacob . . . ."

He shook his head and then brought her hand to his lips, kissing the back of it. She blushed.

"I'm real glad I got you, Cassie. I know I ain't been the easiest person to work with or live with. But I've never been more thankful for a stubborn woman who wouldn't give up on me."

She giggled in spite of herself and he released her hand to instead slide an arm around her. He leaned back against the wall and she snuggled into his side. They sat snuggled together in comfortable silence for several minutes. Then finally he kissed her forehead.

"You know, you wanted to do something to make it better."

"Yeah?"

"Have dinner with me? And yes, like a date."

She beamed at him. "Okay."

"I'm feelin' better already."