Your Lips Are Really Warm

Cassandra let herself into Stone's apartment, juggling a bag and two to go cups: one with her tea, the other with Stone's coffee. She'd knocked first, but he hadn't answered. His truck was in his parking space, so she knew he was home. She assumed he was in the shower, but all she was met with was silence.

"Jacob?" she called and set her things down on the table in his kitchen.

The shower was not running and she found him still in bed. He looked a bit uncomfortable.

"Jacob?" she placed a hand on his shoulder and he jumped. "It's okay, honey, it's just me."

"Cassie?" he blinked up at her. Mumbling, "oh I'm sorry babe, I must have overslept."

She nodded, it was unusual for him but not completely unheard of. Still, she was a bit concerned, even as he reached up to give her a kiss.

"Your lips are really warm," she mused breaking the kiss off. She'd noticed he tasted salty as if he's been sweating and up close she saw that his hair was matted to his head. She put a hand on his forehead. "So is your forehead. Jacob, you're burning up!"

"Not sick," he muttered. "Air's not right. Gotta call the landlord. M' fine, just tired."

"Your air conditioning is fine, sweetheart," Cassandra said firmly. "I'm calling Baird."

"I'm fine," he said, throwing the covers off. "Just let me get into the shower."

Cassandra rolled her eyes. So Jacob was going to be the stubborn type, she guessed it was better than the whining type, but only barely. "Honey, you're sick."

"No, I'm . . . ." he swayed when he got on his feet. He sat firmly back down on the bed. "Okay, got up too fast."

"We don't have to go in today," Cassandra tried a different tactic. "It's been slow. I brought breakfast. We could just hang out here for the day. Watch some movies. How does that sound?"

Stone glared at her. "Stop talkin' to me like I'm five, Cass."

"I wasn't! Stone, you've got a fever. You can't even stand up! Take care of yourself."

"I can stand up. I'm fine."

To prove his point, Stone jumped up and headed for the bathroom. Cassandra stood back but she could tell that the further he got, the slower he was. Finally, she heard a clang and Jacob calling her name.

He'd stumbled in the bathroom, knocking some things over on the counter.

She found him sitting on the floor, head in his hands. "I'm sick."

"Yeah, that's what I said."

"I . . .ya'll need me."

"Not when you're sick. Don't worry about it. Let's get you back into bed."

Slowly and carefully she got him up and back into bed. He was asleep as soon as his head touched the pillow. She gave him a kiss on the forehead.

"Sleep well, you stubborn man."

Then she went to call Baird.