Chapter 4

3277 words

8:28am
Saturday March 13, 1965
Tulsa, OK

Ponyboy pov

After five or so minutes of walking and chatting, I found myself standing in Y/n's driveway. I don't think I've ever been in such a nice neighbourhood, or seen such a nice house.

It was gigantic, painted in a crisp white shade, with a white picket fence to match. A two car garage stood ahead of us at the end of the driveway, and an enormous green, freshly cut lawn in front of the house.

Y/n's stepdad must make a lot of money to be able to afford a place like this. Shoot, this is the nicest house I think I've ever seen in person!

Y/n grabbed my hand, snapping me out of my daze, then pulled me up the driveway towards the front door.

"Did ya have breakfast yet? I can fix something up to eat for us if ya like" Y/n offered generously as we entered the house.

"That's okay, I had breakfast earlier" I declined. She nodded and we sat down on the couch.

"So, what do ya wanna do first? Homework, or somethin' else?" she shrugged. I thought for a moment. I really wish we could just hang out and maybe go out somewhere, but if we finish the homework first then we will have time to do that later.

"Let's start with homework, get it outta the way" I proposed. Y/n smiled.

"Good idea" she picked up her copy of Romeo and Juliet from the coffee table in front of us.

"You're so responsible, Pony" she giggled, lightly tapping me on the nose. I knew my ears were red.

"Where did we leave off?"

11:01am
Saturday March 13, 1965
Tulsa, OK

Y/n pov

We finally got through all the homework; which consisted of Math, Science, and English. Ponyboy is pretty smart, we work well together I think. I should start inviting him over every time we have homework, it gets done a lot faster with the two of us working together.

We are currently in my room; Ponyboy is in a sitting position on my bed, feet on the floor, only his back is stretched out on the mattress, while I sit on the floor next to the bed. His head lay directly beside mine.

We've been asking each other stupid questions for a couple minutes now, since we still hardly know each other.

"Hm..what's you're favourite colour?" I grinned. Ponyboy chuckled slightly before replying.

"Huh, that's a real tough one" he remarked sarcastically. I giggled.

"I don't know, blue I guess. I like yellow too" he answered. I smiled and looked up at him.

"Hey, yellow's my favourite colour!" I admitted excitedly. He chuckled again.

"What?" I furrowed my eyebrows, trying my best to look serious.

"I don't know...I just thought you're favourite colour would be pink or somethin'" he admitted. I rolled my eyes as I giggled along with him.

"Okay next question, you're turn to ask" I poked Pony's shoulder. He pressed his lips together as he searched his brain for an idea.

"I've got a good one. What is your best memory?" he asked. I bit my lip while in thought, it's a habit I have.

"Probably any time before my parents got divorced. It was nice having the whole family together, ya know? And being able to see Steve often. He really changed when they got divorced. He used to be this, always happy, go-lucky guy, he still is sometimes, but now he can be grumpy, and negative too. My mom changed a lot, too. She used to take Steve and I to the park, or even to the zoo; things like those just showed us that she cared. She couldn't care less about me now, or Steve, she hardly talks to us. I..I just miss how things used to be..." I rambled, forgetting I was talking out loud. I looked up at Ponyboy's face and noticed the sadness in his eyes. Instead of responding, he slid down next to me, engulfing me in a warm hug. We pulled away after a couple seconds.