Chapter 9

IMPORTANT:
please watch the video either before or after reading this chapter, it will make everything a lot clearer!

1265 words

10:22pm
Thursday March 18th, 1965
Tulsa, OK

Steve pov

I was glad to be home after a gruelling day at the DX. It was just customer after customer, I had to stay an hour later than I was scheduled. I plopped down on the couch as soon as I got home, yawning restlessly. I nearly fell asleep just sitting there, but the knock at the door I heard woke me up. I shot up from my spot on the couch, walking towards the door.
Who could it be?

I opened the door, and my eyes widened when I saw mom on the other side. I wonder what she could want? And why she looked so agitated?

"I thought you were on vacation?"

Without a reply, she pushed passed me into the house.

"Where the hell is she?" she demanded, moving from the living room to search the kitchen.

"..who? What are ya talkin' about?"

"Y/n. I know she's here" she scoffed, but I had no idea what she was on about.

"What do you mean? Is she okay?" I asked worriedly. "Why isn't she at home?"

"She's fine. She's overreacting." Mom rolled her eyes, then proceeded to searching the bedrooms.

"Jeremy and I had to come back home because apparently she can't stay out of trouble when we're not around."

"What do you mean?"

Mom finished searching through the bedrooms and bathroom, then finally came back to the living room and looked at me.

"She's been hanging around punks like you, that's what I mean. You've got to clean up your act Steve, you're becoming just like your father" she looked at me disgustedly then left.

8:05am
Friday March 19th, 1965
Tulsa, OK

Y/n pov

Ponyboy and I sat quietly in class as we looked over our lines, nervously awaiting for presentations to start. I self-consciously moved my hair to hang down in front of my cheek, hiding the small gash in it. Pony noticed and brushed the strands away, tucking them behind my ear.

"You look beautiful." he whispered assuringly, causing my cheeks to heat up. He called me beautiful.

"Alright class, settle down..." Mr. Syme stated over the chatter of the room. I turned my head from Ponyboy to face the front.

"Okay, let's begin presentations. Any volunteers?" The class went silent. Mr. Syme looked around the class, and finally settled his gaze on one pair of people.

"Douglas, and Ronald, why don't you go first?"

Mr. Syme proceeded to pick presentations in the order of our seating arrangement, and since Pony and I are seated at the back of the room, our presentation will be last. Finally, Mr. Syme called us to the front.

"Ms. Randle, Mr. Curtis..." I reluctantly stood from my seat, following Ponyboy to Mr. Syme's desk at the front of the room. We handed in the written component of our assignment, then stood at the front by the blackboard. All eyes were on us now.

"Begin." Mr. Syme uttered nonchalantly. It was now or never...

Ponyboy took my hand gently, and began to speak.

"If I profane with my unworthiest hand, this holy shrine, the gentle sin is this: my lips, two blushing pilgrims, ready stand to smooth that rough touch with a tender kiss."

I smiled sweetly at Ponyboy, a blush creeping onto my cheeks. I can't recall if the blush was me acting, or from the contact of our hands. I started to say my line.

"Good pilgrim, you do wrong your hand too much, which mannerly devotion shows in this," I squeezed his hand tighter, then continued.

"...For saints have hands that pilgrims' hands do touch, and palm to palm is holy palmers' kiss." I finished, grinning at Pony admiringly. He raised an eyebrow.

"Have saints not lips, and holy palmers too?" he smirked. I giggled a bit before my response, like we had practiced.

"Ay, pilgrim, lips that they must use in prayer."

Ponyboy reached for my hands once again, lacing together our fingers.

"O, then, dear saint, let lips do what hands do. They pray, grant thou, lest faith turn to despair." he stated excitedly. I pulled my hands out of the warm enclosure of Ponyboy's, and turned away from him quickly.

"Saints do not move, though grant for prayers' sake."

Pony spun me around, our noses nearly touching. I grinned at our closeness.

"Then move not while my prayer's effect I take." he said to finish the scene. This is where Romeo and Juliet would have kissed.

The room went awfully silent, as if everyone was waiting for something. I looked at Mr. Syme, who had wide eyes, almost as if he was hoping for us to do the kiss.

I looked back at Ponyboy, taking a deep breath. I leaned closer to him, whispering in his ear.

"Let's do it." I said softly. He nodded, immediately knowing what I meant, and crashed his lips to mine without hesitation. As our lips moved in sync, I forgot about my classmates watching us attentively. I forgot about the hideous bruise on my face, and what my friends would say about it. I forgot about my mother hitting me, and the fight we had. I forgot about everything, because the only thing I cared about was him. I knew then that I had been the one hoping for the kiss, not Mr. Syme. And by the way he kissed me, I knew Ponyboy had been hoping, too. 

The bell rang snapping me back into reality, and I suddenly felt my cheeks grow hot as I remembered that everyone was watching us. I pulled away from Pony slowly, and noticed the big smile on his lips. I had been smiling too. Even Mr. Syme was smiling.

Students began to shuffle out of the classroom, the halls filling at a quick pace, while Pony and I walked to the back of the room to grab what was left on our desks. After retrieving our books, we headed to the door, only to be stopped by Mr. Syme.

"Well done on the presentation, you two." he grinned proudly. I muttered a 'thank you,' then began to exit the classroom, but Mr. Syme stopped us again.

"You two have real chemistry there..." Mr. Syme continued, but I wasn't listening. I was still a bit flustered from everything that just happened. The previous events finally sank in, and I realized something: Ponyboy kissed me. Ponyboy Curtis kissed me. And, I kissed him back.

"...we are holding a play this year. Romeo and Juliet..." Mr. Syme's words snapped me out of my thoughts.

"Would you two be interested in playing the leads?" he continued.

"No thanks.." Pony and I said in unison. I felt myself blush just thinking about having to kiss Ponyboy in front of the whole school.

Pony grabbed my hand as we pushed past Mr. Syme, entering the packed hallway. My thoughts wandered off again as we walked. I'm not sure what this kiss makes us, but I do know one thing for sure: Ponyboy is a real good kisser.

A/n: srry for the short chapter, I thought this would be a good place to end it, and wasn't rlly sure how to continue. Also, I'm thinking of starting an outsiders imagines book, comment if u would read it? Please watch the video above if you haven't already! Thanks for reading!