Chapter One

Batman sighed as he sat atop a gargoyle, surveying the city. Joker had been in Arkham for the last month, probably planning something. The city was quiet, too quiet. But who knows, Joker may escape when least expected. The bat sighed as it was becoming morning.
This was a very uneventful night...

He thought, calling over the Batmobile. The exhausted billionaire put the Batmobile on autopilot before 'resting his eyes'.

"Bruce. Master Bruce. Bruce, wake up!" Bruce jolted awake, still in the Batmobile.
"Good morning master Bruce, did you sleep well?"
Alfred asked sarcastically. The seat had been pushed down to mimic a bed, the majority of his suit was off so he would be more comfortable. Alfred didn't want to wake him.
"Uh... Not really... But, thank you, Alfred..."
Bruce smiled, getting up. He got dressed and headed upstairs for breakfast. Waffles and coffee, fresh and steaming. He thanked Alfred before beginning to eat. He read the paper since he didn't have a chance to see the news, having woken up in the Batcave.

Laughter. It was heard quite often in the dim hallways of Arkham Asylum. They had used Bruce Wayne's funds to make a more secure cell. A cell for the most dangerous criminal in Gotham, the Joker. It was quiet, the clown curled up in the corner of the dark room, body bruised and bloodied. He let out a weak whimper as a flashlight's light filled the room.
"Get up. Now!"
Joker did as told, limping over to the guard. They glared at each other for a few minutes before Joker was punched to the floor, the guard's laughter filling the small cell. He was so close to escape yet so far...
Maybe they wouldn't expect it?
He thought, looking at the bright hallway. He tried to stand but was kicked back down to the floor.
"What do you think you're doing?"
The guard seethed, crouching down until he was almost at Joker's level. Joker said nothing, gasping in pain as his green hair was grabbed. He was dragged up, tossed against the metal cot. Pain rang through his body before a hand gripped around his neck.
"Listen here you freak, you stay down unless we say so, got it!?"
Joker clawed at the hand, a leg bending before striking the guard in the stomach. He took this opportunity to run, slowed down by the limp in his step. He wasn't fast enough as his arms were grabbed.
"No! No no no!"
Was all Joker screamed as he was dragged back into the dark cell.