Chapter 20

Joker jolted upright, arms immediately wrapping around his knees. Damn alarm. His attention turned to Bruce who groaned tiredly. He turned off the alarm then sat up to face Joker.
"Today is hopefully my last day of work. You will have me all weekend. Maybe."
Joker glared as Bruce's hands cupped his cheeks, looking about ready to bite his hands off.
"What are you doing."
"Looking at you. Your bruises are healing beautifully."
He pulled his hand away in disgust as Joker licked his palm.
"Gross!"
"It tastes even worse."
"Oh really?"
Bruce smirked, carefully knocking Joker to the mattress. The two of them wrestled. It ended with Joker straddling Bruce's hips, wrists bound in his hands. Their laughter died down as they stared at each other.
"I love you so much."
"Why?"
"What?"
"Why do you love me?"
He yanked his wrists free, getting off his lap.
"Jay-"
"Do you call me that because I'm not Joker anymore? You're right. I'm not Joker I'm the joke."
"No, you aren't."
He pulled the other into a hug, frowning at how light he still felt. He did eat everything given to him. Maybe that was the problem, he doesn't ask for food. He quickly focused back on the situation at hand.
"Jay."
"I'm sorry..."
"No need to be. It's difficult, I know."
Joker nodded, sniffling. Bruce grabbed him a box of tissues, holding him in his lap.
"I feel like I don't know who I am anymore. Joker would never act like this."
"That's because you're more than just Joker. You're getting better, and that part of you, the ill part, is fading."
"What if I don't want that? What if I don't wanna be... Better."
"But don't you feel better?"
Joker slowly nodded. He didn't want to admit it but he had been feeling better than usual. The sleep probably helped. He must have been thinking for a while because he was shifted out of Bruce's lap.
"I'm sorry, I have to get ready for work."
Joker nodded, getting comfy under the covers. A thought raced through his mind as Bruce walked into the closet.
"Wait. The psychiatrist is coming today?"
"Yep. Don't worry it will be after dinner."
Joker sunk under the covers in silence.

He didn't realize he had fallen back asleep until a hand carefully shook him awake. He groaned and sat up, taking the glass of water offered to him.
"Thank you."
He mumbled groggily, taking a sip, trying to wake up.
"Breakfast is just about ready. Would you like me to bring it up for you?"
Alfred asked, referring to the brace discarded on the floor.
"Yes, please."
Alfred nodded and walked off.

After eating breakfast he stood up, taking a deep breath before immediately falling to the ground. He made sure he caught himself against the soft carpet, not wanting to alert Alfred with a loud thud. He silently cursed himself, sitting against the bed. His eyes wandered to the drawers beside him. Curiosity got the better of him as he looked through the drawers. Three, the middle locked. There was nothing of note aside from the key card and pager, though he was sure that was mentioned before. After climbing over the bed and checking the other nightstand he got up, placing a hand on the wall. After some struggling, he made it to the bathroom, sinking to the floor to check under the sink. Cleaning supplies and two first aid kits. He stood and checked the medicine cabinet, raising an eyebrow. Another first aid kit along with multiple packs of bandaids, all sorts of gauze. His eyes wandered over to his reflection and he frowned, taking the gauze pads.

Joker paced the empty space of the room, a book in hand. He had managed to get up and walk, his leg still feeling quite weak. He couldn't care less, flipping through the pages. He was so bored he had begun reading, finding the book in the nightstand. On his cheeks, two gauze pads covered the scars, despite them being healed. The bedding was wrapped over his shoulder, his stuffed bear tucked into his arm. He walked into the closest, tripping on his way. He regained his composure and got comfortable on the floor, falling asleep to the words on the pages.