Chapter Four

"Master Bruce... You've been sitting here for hours. Maybe you-"
"I am not leaving him again! This is all my fault..."
"It is not your fault for doing your job. But, I'm here if you need to talk about anything."
Bruce nodded. He barely realized that he had been holding Joker's limp hand. Joker was covered in a blanket, his head propped up with pillows. One hand was bound to the bed as a precaution. He was better than when he collapsed, the oxygen mask and IV helping to stabilize him. Bruce felt his heart skip a beat when fingers slowly curled around his hand. Alfred quickly snuck off to not give away Batman's identity, Bruce putting his cowl back on as well.

"Joker... Joker are you awake?"
He whispered, almost jumping as Joker's arm tugged against the binds. His eyes were shut tightly as he visibly panicked, breathing becoming erratic.
"Joker. Joker calm down. Calm down, it's just me. Look at me."
He slowly calmed, feeling warm hands on his cheeks. Hesitantly he opened his eyes, tears instantly filling them when he saw Batman. He started to tug at his binds again, whining like a child. Batman got the hint and undid the binds, hoping he wouldn't try and flee. Joker sat up quickly, taking the oxygen mask off. He went to take out the IV but Batman grabbed his hand.
"It's there to help you. Just like I am."
Joker stayed quiet, looking down at the blanket in his lap. It was the only thing on him. Shyly he sunk into it.
"Is this a dream?"
Joker barely managed to say, voice hoarse and broken.
"No, it's not, I'm here."
Batman stated, walking to a table behind Joker and grabbing a water bottle. He handed it to Joker, watching the shaky pale hands lead the bottle to his lips. He greedily drank the water, having not had a drink in a few days. Bruce watched with sadness, regretting not being there for him. Then Joker asked a question that made his heart hurt more.
"Why didn't you save me..."
"Joker I-"
"No! You were supposed to be there!"
He winced as he yanked the IV out. He didn't care about the blood, but Bruce did. He grabbed a cotton swab and pressed it to his arm.
"Listen, I'm sorry, but I'm here to help you now, okay?"
Joker grunted, pulling the blanket over his chest. He didn't know how injured he was until he saw the bandages.
"I'll get you some clothes once your arm stops bleeding. You could have asked for me to remove it you know."
Joker only glared in response.
"Any specific clothing?"
"Whatever will cover me."
Batman nodded, tossing the cotton swab in the trash before heading to the elevator. "Stay here."
He warned, glaring as Joker's response was to stick his tongue out. At least his personality didn't change too much.