Chapter 10: Read Between The Lines ~ Seokjin

Between the abstract moments of laughs, near-silent scribbles, and tinged cheeks, the night seemed to drift past us. Namjoon's warm eyes glittered at every sentence I wrote, seeming to be quite entranced with even the most simple of questions.

Where were you born?

What's your favorite thing to eat?

What's your favorite color?

"Well, I think I can guess that on my own, can't I?" Namjoon joked, his dimpled cheeks not afraid to make another entrance once again. My cheeks burned so hot, they could answer the question themselves.

Despite being quite clumsy and erratic, I could tell there was something very methodical about Namjoon. His questions were very basic, as if not wanting to pry, but I knew deep down he wanted to ask the most serious question.

Why are you mute, Jin?

Of course, I knew that the poor fellow didn't have the heart to ask...

And I didn't have the heart to answer.

What a pair of fools, huh?

The coffee seemed to cool down as we passed the post-it stack back and forth, learning more and more about each other.

From what I collected, Namjoon was from Ilsan, made it to age 23, and lived with a roommate for the past 5 years.

What do you like to do for fun?

I passed the post-it, curious of the answer for scientific reasons...

"Things..." he said aloud, biting the inside of his cheek, avoiding my questioning gaze.

Raising a brow, I used my hand to gesture the explanation of his answer. But it never came.

"I'd rather not say." His cheeks tinged a red color, a small smile pulling on his lips.

Hmm, a very curious creature indeed.

Sip by sip, our mugs seemed to weigh less, but our conversation seemed to weigh more. Post-its had begun to cover the tabletop, memories formed on their thin sheets.

Why do you like your coffee so sweet? Aren't you worried you'll give yourself a toothache?

I scribbled my answer diligently, being as open as I could. I'm not usually as open as I've been during this little moment. And I think I like it.

The world is bitter, so I need something to sweeten it up.

"Aren't you too sweet already? I feel like I've been on a sugar rush this whole time." He smirks, his corny joke causing my cheeks to flush for the millionth time tonight.

After voicing that cute string of words, he resorted back to scribbling his next question. My eyes were drawn to the moon's bright light shining down from the sky, casting its blue light for all of us to see. The sight was one that I never really get to take notice of due to my constant analysis of manuscripts and email reading.

The simple idea of even being at this café so late at night on a night like tonight felt like a dream. It made me wonder if that one saying was true.