Phase XIX + 1

(Short)

Short and abrupt sniffles awoke me, flaring my senses and instincts back to full gear like a jump starting engine.

It took me a few moments to realise I had actually fallen asleep last night. That could've been the first time in years.

Soft, yellow light beams flared into the room highlighting the dust air particles floating about. I could hear the hum of wildlife outside.
The echoe of birdsong, rustles of bush leaves and faint cry of the crickets.

Sniff!
I looked down to see Lilith sprawled on my chest under the tugged sheet, her hands clenching my shirt weakly in her sleep. Her hair had flown freely about like a silk sheet. My heart expanded in my chest.
She was so beautiful.
Her warrior mask was a sheen sheet of fragile when she was asleep.

I almost laughed at myself when I saw my tender smile in the window reflection briefly. Who am I?

Her lips mumbled words but just like a static radio station, I couldn't comprehend what she was saying. The warmth that pulsed from her skin was so comfortable and the moment too precious.
Her shirt had fallen down her arm almost revealing her arms, collarbones and shoulder. All fair in her unique skin tone.

My throat formed a lump.
Extending my hand out, I placed her shirt back up over her shoulder and lifted the sheets up to her neck.

"You're safe here with me, Lilith. No more suffering. For either of us," I whispered.

I'd never had a true sense of home. Being a first generation, moving is second nature. Escaping and hiding is no foreign concept to survival. Human poets and peoples speak of home often. Of that safe place filled with warmth.

No. I didn't know what home was but this, if this is warmth and safety then this is the closest I've felt to home. This pure bright moment was the most peaceful I had ever felt in years.
And I didn't plan on losing it.

AN//
Sorry I'm taking years to get the new chapter out. Soon enough!