Chapter 1 - White Noise

Laurel picked up her plate and sat down at her table with her friends. She looked down at her chicken sandwich that looked disgusting, but she ate it anyways because she was hungry.
"Did you see that new kid? Tucker, wasn't it?" Fatima whispered to Shan and Laurel. Laurel looked up at Fatima, with chicken in her mouth. Shan started laughing at Laurel. Laurel smiled at Shan, but then looked at Fatima again.
Laurel shook her head at Fatima. Fatima smiled and said, "He's bad. He was already in the principal's office on his first day! I wonder what he did...".
Laurel's eyes widened and she looked at Shan, who shrugged. Laurel looked at Fatima again and swallowed her chunk of chicken.
"What do you think he did?" Laurel said with a half-smile on her face. Fatima smiled and Shan was staring at an unfamiliar boy. Laurel and Fatima looked at the boy.
"That's him," Fatima said quietly to Laurel. The boy was average height for his age. He was average weight, too. His hair was blonde, and he had dull green eyes. His skin was pretty pale, and he had a smirk on his face. Looking at him was as calming as white noise to Laurel. He sat down with the bad kids that always got in trouble and started talking to them.
"He's hot!" Laurel exclaimed to Shan and Fatima. Fatima and Shan looked at Laurel with wide eyes and shushed her. Laurel blushed and looked at the boy again. He was talking to the bad kids again and Laurel looked back at her friends.
"You think he's hot? Good luck having a good reputation in the rest of high school," Shan said as she rolled her eyes. Laurel frowned and looked at Fatima. She shrugged.
"Everyone hates him. They say he's an asshole. But I don't know," Fatima said as she shrugged and started giggling.
Laurel rolled her eyes and looked at him again. "What's his name? And age," she said with a smirk on her face.
Shan and Fatima "oohed" at her and Fatima responded with, "His name is Tucker and he's seventeen,". Laurel looked at Fatima with wide eyes.
"Damn. Just right!" Laurel said loudly as she started laughing. Laurel was sixteen and a half. Laurel looked over at Tucker again. His friends started booking him and looking at Laurel. They smiled at her and she started to blush. She looked away as Tucker looked at her.
She started goofily smiling at Fatima and Shan. "Ooh, looks like someone has a crush," Shan said to Laurel. Laurel rolled her eyes and started laughing.
"Hey, isn't that your ex, Caspian?" Fatima said to Laurel. Laurel stopped laughing and looked around. She saw Caspian and immediately thought of the breakup.
She shook the thought away and looked at Tucker. He was smiling at her so she looked away at Caspian. Cas was staring at Tucker with jealousy in his eyes. Laurel gasped and started laughing to herself.
Laurel turned around and looked at Fatima and Shan. "Looks like someone's jealous," Laurel said as she quickly glanced to Caspian and Tucker. Fatima and Shan gasped and Laurel started laughing again.
"I bet he still has feelings for you Laurie," Shan said in a childish voice I Laurel. Laurel stopped laughing and rolled her eyes. Laurel looked at Caspian and he looked back at her. They kept eye contact for 5 seconds then Laurel looked away at Tucker.
Tucker was talking with his friends. He was smiling at laughing with them. He kept making weird gestures, but Laurel thought it was cute and funny.
Caspian started to get up and walk towards Laurel, but he heard his name being called from behind.
"Caspian! Hey! Come here! Caspian!" Tucker yelled at Caspian. Cas turned around to face Tucker.
"What?" Caspian said to Tucker. Tucker had a smirk on his face and he stood up to face Caspian.
"Is she your girlfriend?" Tucker said to Caspian as he looked at Laurel. Caspian looked at Laurel and her beautiful ash-brown and golden hair. Caspian rolled his eyes at her, because she was laughing. He missed her laugh. He faced Tucker again.
"No. Not anymore," Caspian said sadly. Tucker raised an eyebrow and looked at Laurel again. One of her friends pointed at Tucker and Caspian and Laurel turned around to see them.
"What happened? Did she break up with you?" Tucker said teasingly to Caspian. He widened his eyes and faced Laurel again. He sighed and faced Tucked once more.
"I broke up with her. She didn't love me the same, you know?" Caspian said to Tucker. Tucker nodded his head and smiled at Laurel. Laurel blushed and turned around to face her friends.
"Yeah, man, I get it. Hey, do you wanna sit with us? We don't bite, even though it seems like we may," Tucker said to Caspian with a laugh in his voice. Caspian smiled and nodded. Caspian walked over to Tucker's table and sat down.
Laurel looked at the now-sitting Caspian and Tucker. She smiled at Tucker, but when she saw her dark haired ex, she frowned and looked away.
"Do you think they're friends now?" Laurel asked Shan and Fatima. They shrugged and looked at the boys who were smiling at each other. Laurel sighed and looked at the boys too.
"Oh, Cas, why do YOU do this?" Laurel said quietly to herself.