Chapter 9 - So Long and Goodnight

The house phone rang, so Tucker picked it up. It was a warm Friday night and Tucker was exhausted. He was tired. He barely had any sleep and he was tired of all of the fake people that used and abused him.
     A voice rang out of the phone and gave Tucker a creepy vibe. He listened to the ringing voice and seemingly recognized the song it sang, but realized that some lyrics were changed.
      He then started to ponder if it was just in his head and if it was all a dream, the words he heard terrified him and gave him a feeling of nostalgia. The familiar, but changed words recited from a song echoed through the phone.
     "What's the worse that I can say? Things would be better if he stayed. 'So long and goodnight,'. I hope it's 'So long, not goodnight,'". The shaking, ringing voice rang out to Tucker.
     He then realized who the voice was talking about.
     "Mikey—Michael..Is he okay? My best friend—did he—," Tucker frantically stuttered into the phone. The voice from the phone then made a coughing noise, mixed with a crying noise.
     "Calm down, Tuck. It'll be okay..." the voice softly said. Tucker calmed down at the familiar voice that he recognized. Helena, his friend's mother.
     "Did Mikey...Did..." Tucker sobbed into the phone. Tears started pouring down his face as soon as he heard the words he knew were lies. 'It'll be okay'. It's not okay.
    "Sweetie, it's okay. Don't cry," His friend's mother whisperer into the phone, trying not to cry along with Tucker.
     "Where is he? Where is he, Helena? Tell me...Please...please..." Tucker sobbed from loud to quiet into the phone. His face was painted in the tears of worry and fear.
     "Sweetie, he's dead...Mikey killed himself," Helena said, her voice obviously unstable from the tears forming in her weak eyes. She felt tears run down her face as she finished her sentence.
      Tucker then felt his heart snap. He felt a huge pang of fear and sadness. His best friend, that he had known from the age of 3. He was gone, dead.
     "How...?? Helena? Why??" Tucker gasped and sobbed. He was trying to keep his breath steady, but it wasn't happening.  Helena kept sniffling through the phone.                                                                      "I-I don't know..." Helena whispered as she sniffled. She wiped her eyes and Tucker did, too.           "Thank you for notifying me, Mrs. Sanders...When...Is there going to be a funeral held..?" Tucker said with a slower sob. He sniffled every five seconds, as did Helena Sanders.                              "Next Thursday. Can you come...?" she whispered, not sniffling or crying,but she had a sad tone to her voice.                                                                                                                                                                                   "Yes, Mrs. Sanders. I'll get out of school...For Mikey..." Tucker sniffled. Helena smiled through the phone and Tucker wiped his eyes one last time.                                                                                            "T-thank you..You don't know how grateful I am...Michael would be so happy to see you again..." Helena said softly into the phone as she wiped her damp eyes. Tucker smiled.                                      "You're welcome, Mrs. Sanders...It's an honor..." Tucker smiled through the tears. Helena sniffled one last time. "So long and goodnight, Helena,".