Deep in the Shadows

Akira woke in the next morning sleeping on the couch. The night before, she stayed up late pondering the meaning of Ace's kiss. It seemed too improbable for someone to like her, in Akira's mind. So, in the end, she shrugged it off for brotherly affection, even though she'd never experienced it. The dorm had been empty, Killer off somewhere.

Akira sat up and went to where her bag had been left her first night there. It was hard to believe she'd only been there three days, today being her fourth. Three days (including the weekend) till the first of three weeks begun. A knot of nerves blossomed in Akira's stomach.

Akira searched through the bag for something of hers that would be comfortable. She decided on her favourite black jeans and 'goth tinkerbell' shirt. She left her hair down and searched through her bag for anything she might have forgotten.

And she came across something she hadn't packed. A picture of a boy holding a baby. The boy had lots of curly black hair and dark skin. He had black eyes and a strong jaw for someone who was obviously about eight. The baby in his arms had a short mess of black hair and pale skin. Her eyes were wide and smiling. They were red.

Akira frowned. Is this me? She wondered. Flipping the photo over she saw a messy scribble o. The page. 'Ak#r# and T##c#'. Obviously the first name was Akira, but the second she couldn't make out. Do I have a brot-

*bang*

Killer marched into the room bristling with annoyance. He glanced over at Akira and growled before going to his room. Akira stood up, her thoughts forgotten when he entered. The picture slipped from her fingers, unknowing to her, and slid under the couch. Akira caught herself looking at Killer's door and shook her head.

Returning to her bag she found noting of interest and stood up again, walking to the door. She slipped out and heard the first bell ring.

~~~~~~~~

Law made his way to lunch, his thoughts bristling, he'd found the other folder and was curious why she'd never told them she was related to someone so, well, strong. He was in Hell, of cause, there was noway, with the thick record of his, would he be even momentarily aloud in Paridise.

Now, Law had a reason to be around Akira, other then his stupid, unintentional feelings for her. He wanted to find out more.

More about Akira's brother.

~~~~~~~

Akira POV.

Luffy and Ace were waiting with their crews for meat lunch. I was shocked when I found out Ace actually had a crew. Apparently, before Ace became head of the Newgates, he was apart of a crew he lead named the Spade's. Then he meet the founder of the Newgates, Edward Newgate, aka Whitebeard and joined the Newgates.

Luffy and Ace were arguing about something and when I arrived, they stopped abruptly.

"Akira, important question! Think carefully," Ace said sternly. "Are you any good at fighting?" He asked.

"I guess, I'm alright," I shrugged not sure why it mattered.

"You guess? Akira, when we go to hell, there's a chance we won't be together the whole time, you need to be able to protect yourself against anything!" Ace said crossing his arms. He was shirtless again.

"Okay, so what do I do about it?" I asked sitting down beside him.

"Alright, tonight we'll check you skills, if we deem you ready to face hell, we'll head off on the Monday," Ace said and Luffy nodded.

"And if I'm not?" I inquired.

"Then we'll decide when it comes to that!" He said pumping a flaming fist. It dropped into his bowl, splattering us with thick hot tomato soup. I sweat dropped and picked up a napkin, and whipping my face with it. Luffy licked his face clean and Ace smiled bashfully. I sighed and turned to my cake, which was also covered in soup.