"I'm Waking up to Ash and Dust"

Dedication: My Best Friend. I swear I'm not suicidal. Only my thoughts are. You don't need to worry(:

AuroraII

❄️❄️❄️

I Twirled a pencil around in my fingers. My hands happy of being able to do something besides just lie there uselessly. The rest of my body screaming at me to move, like something was going to kill me or something. Hey, blame the ADHD.

My mind was going a million thoughts per minute, drifting from the pair of Amber eyes staring me down from the front of the classroom, to what was on everyone's mind.

Relief.

Thank goodness, tomorrow was the start of winter break. I don't think I can stay up every night studying and rushing through homework only to get more the next day. One more week, and I would have collapsed into a pile of unmoving limbs for several days. Or at least until someone fed me chocolate. Whichever came first.

I looked up at the clock impatiently. It was moving ever so slowly. Frost gathered at the hands of the device.

The sound of the ticking device was, oddly, mesmerizing. My eyelids started to droop. Is it just me or does sleep sound absolutely heavenly.

Just the word.

Sleep...

I jumped up. Why would frost be covering a clock? I looked up again to find the clock but was greeted with sky blue walls.They were decorated with purple tapestries that depicted scenes of mountains, snow storms, and glaciers. They were each labeled with places up north I'd heard of but never had been to.

My school-desk was no longer here. Instead, I sat on a silver couch with a delicate glass table in place of it.

On a closer look I realized there was a tiny layer of glittering snow on the floor. But it seemed perfectly fitting for this room. Like it was perfectly okay and normal to have snow in your living room.

There were also life-size ice sculptures of warriors littering a pathway that lead to an icy staircase. They were all poised for attack and varied as if they were from different time periods. Well, at least I thought they were just sculptures.

Mist hung in the atmosphere which made me look to the roof expectingly. I gasped, and my breath came out steamed.

I would've thought there would be no roof, and I was partially correct. Ribbons of light pulsed across the ceiling, the aurora borealis. My name's origin.

"Beautiful isn't it?"

I found the owner of the voice. She looked to be around seventeen, but her figure flickered every now and then making her appear healthier and older. Silky black hair cascaded down her back like a waterfall. Her eyes were a coffee brown and devoid of emotion. She looked at the ceiling with neutral features.

Her expression gave away nothing, but her smile chilled me to the core.

"Who are you?" I said intelligibly. Mentally cursing myself when my voice wavered in fear.

"You know exactly who I am. Look a bit harder dear." She turned her cold and calculating eyes on me. Amusement now glittering in her irises.

Mine widened in shock. "No... You can't be." I denied weakly, incapable of speech.

I had seen her before. Many times actually.

A flashback obscured my vision.

I was at a winter parade with my dad when my balloon had floated away. I watched in horror as it got snagged on the branches of a nearby tree. My dad was on the phone, talking rapidly in French. His hand slipped unconsciously out of my own as he pinched the bridge of his noise.