Chapter 2

"Where have you been?! I was scared you were kidnapped or murdered. Why didn’t you call?” His eyes turned to me. He looked me over. “Oh I see why now.” He winked and smiled at Kyle.

“It’s not what you think man.”

“Sure, whatever you say bro.” He winked at me.

“Actually,” I said butting in. I couldn’t stand seeing his brother beating him up because of me.“your brother saw me walking down the street and noticed I looked sad so he stopped and talked to me.”

“I see you two have bonded quite fast.” River said making me want to slap him. Kyle’s hand slipped away from mine. Gosh why did River have to be such a stupid jerk.

“Anyways Kathryn is staying here because she has nowhere else to go. So please be NICE to her.”  River shot me an evil glare.

“Why don’t you have somewhere else to stay?” River said in the most oboxious tone I’ve ever heard someone use.

“I prefer not to talk about it.” Gosh, I sounded like some kind of juvenile delinquent.

“Why not?” River said thinking probably the same thing I was.

“It’s personal, Okay?” Gosh, he needed to learn to respect personal boundary's.

“No it’s not okay. I’m going to be living with you for god knows how long. I need to know why you have nowhere to stay.”

“I.....I...” I started bawling my eyes out again but this time Kyle just stood there and starred. Kyle didn’t even care. God River was such a jerk to do this. Suddenly I felt arms wrap around me. I looked up and it was River.

“It’s going to be alright.” I looked up at him with tears in my eyes.

“Why are you comforting me? Don’t you hate me?” He looked at me with mocked shock.

“Why would you think that?” He looked completely serious now. I didn’t know if he was kidding or just being stupid.

“Ummmm, Please say you’re joking.” He cracked a smile.

“I’m kidding. I’m sorry for being a jerk. I’m a little over pretective of my brother.” I gave him a questioning look. “Fine. I’m VERY over protective of my brother.” That was an understatement.

“It’s okay. I don’t really know what it feels like to have a rich brother. But I can imagine. I mean seriously you guys are like millionaires."  River smiled proudly.

“I’m sorry about whatever you’re not telling me.” I started crying again. I could still feel their finger clutched around my neck. Getting tighter and tighter. “Are you okay Kathryn?” He really cared about me. I managed a smile and nodded.

“Ya but I’m kinda tired. Can one of you show me where I’ll be sleeping?”

River smiled and was about to open his mouth but before he could, “I will!” Kyle yelled almost giving me a heart attack.

“Okay thanks.” I said trying not to laugh. “Goodnight River. It was nice to meet you.” I smiled through my tears.

“Goodnight. Nice to meet you too. Have a good night sleep. Nighty night don’t let the bed bugs bite.”

“You have bed bugs!?! That marks your hotel down a star.” We all laughed. Kyle started walking. “Bye. So where’s my room?”

“It’s right upstairs, Come on.” He smiled. Seriously? Was he expecting me to forget about what happened back there?

“Why didn’t you help me?”

“I didn’t know what to say.” Neither did I but I still defended him.