Chapter 5

“Hey Kathryn. Why did you leave this morning?”

“I don’t know I guess I just didn’t want you guys being to nice to me I guess.” I was so good at lying now I almost believed myself. I didn’t know Kyle anymore and I was kind of scared he’s like Ken and Martha. I didn’t really want to test if that was true or not.

“Well don’t do it again. Okay?” I starred at him.

“Can I talk to you Kyle?”

“I’ll leave you two alone. After I get Kathryn a blanket.” River said. I smiled at River.

“Thanks but I’m perfectly fine.” River looked at me doubtfully. “Am I shivering still?”

“No, it’s just that I’m going to make sure you don’t have hypothermia. Let me grab a thermometer and if you have a normal body temperature I will leave you alone.” He cared so much. I think I may love him.

“Thanks.” River went and got a thermometer and blanket.

“Here take your temperature and have Kyle tell me what it is. I’ll see you guys later.” He kissed my cheek. I smiled.

“Thanks.” I stuck the thermometer in my mouth and he left. There was a minute long pause. I took out the thermometer and looked at the temperature. “It’s 102 degrees.”

“Okay I’ll tell River later.” I smiled. “I thought I told you never to come back here.”

“You did but River found me in the woods and he brought me back. Believe me I would rather be with Ken and Martha then here.” He looked at me sadly.

“What? Why would you rather be in an abusive home then here. I thought you liked River.” I looked at him. I was so confused so first he wanted me to leave and never come back then he didn’t want me in the only place I could go.

“You don’t want me here so I won’t be here and Ken’s and Martha’s house is the only place I could go. So honestly it’s the only other choice.”

“Don’t you like River though?”

“Yeah but you don’t want me here so I’ll go I’ll keep in touch with River if you want me gone.”

“I do but not if it means you have to live with those awful people.”

“Thanks for being so nice.” I said sarcastically.

“Your welcome.” He smiled his biggest fake smile. I starred at him.

“I’m going to go find River. Bye.”

“Wait.”

“Yeah.”

“Please don’t tell River I’m the reason you left. He would hate me.”

“Don’t worry I wont. If I really wanted to I would have already.”

“Thanks.”

“No problem.”

“See you later.”

“Bye.” I walked up to River’s room dragging the blanket along and taking the thermometer so he didn’t have to go grab it if he was going to force me to take my temperature. I knocked on his door.

“Hey Kathryn. How are you feeling?”

“Do you want me to be honest?”

“Yes please.”

“I feel like crap. Also my temperature was 102 degrees.”

“Seriously it was that high?”

“Yeah. I’ll be alright though. I bet it’s already back to normal. Trust me.” he smiled at me.