13

The past couple of weeks seemed to have been a blur

It was nearing the middle of August and everything has slowly but surely been returning back to normal. Everyone had returned from their various Summer break locations and were currently residing on campus. First day of classes were in exactly a week and the Howard campus was bussling with orientation activities for the Freshmen. I couldn't help but reminsce on my first year at Howard and how fun it had been. This year would be a lot different. I wasn't participating in any of the activities on the Quad primarily because I had been busying myself with Bisonette stuff.

Bison dance orientation was pushed back until after most of the students got situated into their classes versus earlier in the week like Coach Liz had originally planned. Bisonette orientation was predominantly something that Coach Liz handled, but I, alongside co-captain Alisha, and Nia were in charge of learning a routine to perform at orientation.

Last year, Martina had set the bar extremely high with her dance routine to Anaconda. I had no idea how I was going to top that and the conflicting views between the rest of the crew on what to do was not helping.

"I really think we should do a slow, sensual song. Those always get the most retweets and what not when posted." Nia spoke as she glanced at herself in the mirror. We had been seated in the same position for the past twenty minutes with no clear direction of where we were planning on going.

"I think we should do a fast song. Slow and sensual songs are cute—when we're performing for guys. We're performing for a bunch of hyped up girls. Don't nobody wanna sit around and watch us grind on the floor to some damn Tory Lanez or something." Alisha retorted.

"Tory Lanez barely makes slow songs, Alisha. I was thinking Tank or Ginuwine even. We could do a hardcore routine to so anxious," Nia responded, singing out the last note to the popular  Ginuwine song.

I made a face at her.

"Ginuwine? Really? There's no way we're going that old or sexy. I gotta agree with Alisha on this one. Our best bet is going fast. Remember how energetic Martina's performance was? Imagine if she had done something completely different." I revealed. Alisha let out a hah and stuck her tongue out in Nia's direction. Nia flipped her hair and rolled her eyes. "Whatever, bitch." She retorted jokingly.

"Now, I just have to figure out what song." I groaned. This was the hardest part about being captain in my opinion. Coming up with choreography was easy. Deciding what music to use took the most time. Despite us agreeing on a fast song, there were different kinds of speeds we were dealing with. For example, we couldn't dance to Party by Chris Brown the same way we'd dance to a Sissy Nobby song.

"Can you do that later? I'm hungry and Claire has pizza back at the apartment." Alisha whined. I rolled my eyes. "Girl you came in here with two slices of pizza. Just say you want to be with your girlfriend and stop the fronting." I teased. Alisha opened her mouth to respond, but closed it when she realized she had nothing. With a laugh she shook her head.