20

I sat down on my bed, tossing the mini-basketball in my room up against the ceiling

I sat down on my bed, tossing the mini-basketball in my room up against the ceiling . When I was younger, my mom used to get so mad whenever she heard me bouncing the ball in the house, despite the fact that she was the one who had purchased the hoop that rested against my closet door. Over the years, I had mastered the skill of bouncing the ball quietly enough that she wouldn't hear a single thing. But now, none of that would matter. Mom was busy downstairs entertaining her guest and she was one sip away from being drunk. It was nice to see my mom loose in this matter—she was always so proper. I was happy that Dominic's book signing had brought out another side of her. To be honest, Dominic's presence tended to have that effect on her often. It was the first time I had seen her so happy with a man since my dad.

It wasn't often that I thought about him so much, but after hearing the tidbit of Mike's life in the car, it definitely made me realize why he was the way he was. Mike didn't express the things that made him mad or that hurt him. He just kind of went along with his regular schedule activities and held up this facade. Mike was cool people, but I never wanted to have to fake a happy persona in order to stop myself from thinking about what bothered me.

The party was still going on downstairs, but after Dillon left it kind of got boring. This was definitely an adult affair and though I was happy for Dominic, I could not stand to sit around and listen to adults talk about being old for another minute. I was hoping that Sage would be up here with me, but after her tantrum she stormed out of the room and I had no energy to chase her. I thought her being around me would let her loosen up a bit, but she's been tense since the moment I saw her this morning. I didn't want to jump to conclusions and think it had something to do with Mike. Mike had actually been on his best behavior. He gave Sage and I the space we needed, ignoring the fact that Sage was being difficult of course.

There was a knock on my door, and in came Mike.

"You left me to sit up here by yourself?" Mike questioned. He headed towards where his bags were, and sat down beside it, pulling out a pair of basketball shorts and a t-shirt most likely to sleep in. "I'm just not feeling it down there," I spoke, not really sure I wanted to go into detail. Mike looked up at me a knowing look on his face. "Does this happen to have something to do with Sage?" Mike questioned. I sighed again, nodding my head. Was it really that obvious?

"Well did you tell her happy anniversary?" Mike questioned. Instantly everything clicked. "Oh shit." I spoke, groaning loudly. I had been so busy with everything else that I had completely forgot that today was Sage and I's one year anniversary. Mike nodded his head, a disappointed look on his face. "I know you don't want to hear it from me, but you got to do better bro. I mean, shit you already cheated on her with Annie the least you could've done was make this anniversary special!" Mike announced a shake of his head. I shushed him, my eyes widening. "You can't just go and yell that out!" I whisper-yelled in his direction. "So it is true? You got some cookie from Ms. Annie?" Mike asked. He was the last person I wanted to tell, but it seemed as if he already knew what was going on. "I just got some head, that's it. But still. If Sage finds out she's going to break up with me no questions asked. I really do care about her but..."