Twelve: Ex Fiance

Thursday, March 16th, 2017

"After a series of wins, will the dodgers be able to keep the streak going through the regular season?"

I listened to the the morning espn coverage of all things baseball. We've been doing really good lately. Cody hasn't lightened up on the compliments but I've gotten used to it mostly because every now and then he'll slip in an insult, jokingly. After getting ready for the day, I head to the stadium.

"Morning Jenna," Roberts greets me as I entered the field from the dugout. "Morning Doc," I reply. I check my todo list on my tablet and see that I needed to check with Jansen about his back. He was at 3rd with Justin, alternating fielding. As Justin fielded, I talked to Jansen, making sure to watch the guy up to practice batting. I notice it was Cody, but didn't think too much of it. "Ok so are you having any-" my question was cut short due to a foul ball being belted down the 3rd base line, causing Jansen and I to dodge it. "My bad!" Cody says to us. "Watch it Bellinger," Kenley jokes with him. "I'm fine Jenna, really. I'm all cleared to come in the game tomorrow," Jansen finishes telling me. I was being my usual over-concerned self. "Alright, but as soon as you feel the slightest ache I want you to let me know," I insist. "Got it," he replies, before switching out with Justin. "So what's the news on my favorite secret couple right now," Justin asks me. "Don't push it," I glare at him and we both laugh. All the sudden, Cody hits his third home run in a row. "Damn, what's little man eating," Justin jokes as many were also astonished. "As soon as I thought he couldn't get any better," I smirk, watching Cody. "You two are gross," Justin says, causing me to look away. "You know that's not what I meant," I defend. "Isn't it," Justin teases before going to his position after Jansen was called to the bull pen.

—§—

"Last time the dodgers faced the cubs, they suffered a 9-3 loss at the hands of Cubs 2x all star and 3rd baseman, Kris Bryant." "I'd say the Dodgers are looking pretty sharp tonight, and I think that all ties into Jenna Harper settling as part of the ball club. She's comfortable, the players are comfortable..." I was listening to the stat cast when the announcer comes on. He announced the starting line ups then the national anthem. On the way back into the dugout, I see someone in the audience who looked familiar. I get a better look and notice it was Bill. We had broken up only three months ago. "Who's that?" Cody tried to look in the direction I was looking. I knew Bill had been watching me but was now pretending not to. "No one," I shake the thought and continue on my way, avoiding the chance that I had to tell Cody. He was confused by my new attitude.
I look back and lock eyes with Bill. He smirks before looking back at the field. He was always such a cocky asshole. I sigh, angry that he'd even show his face here. "Okay, what's up with you? Who is that?" Cody leans against the dugout wall beside me. I sigh before telling him. "My ex... fiancé," I hesitate the last part. "Why's he here?" Cody looks back to get a better look at Bill. "I have no idea," I shake my head. "Are you okay?" He asks me, realizing that this would probably make me emotional. "Yea, I'm fine," I assure him. "Him showing up to a game isn't gonna rattle me," I shrug. "I'm pretty sure he's gonna try to talk to you afterwards," Cody laughs, thinking I'd be amused. "Don't let me talk to him okay? After the game," I look at him with 100% seriousness. "Okay," he gets a little more worried. "I just know he's gonna try to get back together. I can't let that happen," I sigh. "I'm not gonna let that happen," Cody raises his eyebrows with concern, which causes me to laugh. "Good," he laughs too, realizing that he had cheered me up. "You think maybe we could make him jealous?" Cody smirks. "You know we can't," I look at him sternly. "I know," Cody sighs looking towards the field. "That would feel great though," I can't help but imagine. "We'll do that later, then," Cody shrugs. I give him a questioning look. "Never mind," he rolls his eyes playfully. Cody looks back at Bill and I nudge him. "Don't make it so obvious," I didn't want Bill to know that he even crossed my mind. "Okay," Cody laughs at how serious I was.

—§—

Final score was 4-0 Cubs. Our winning streak was over, once again.
After the game, some of the guys and I were meeting some fans on the vip club level. Cody wasn't required to, but came since Corey, Justin, and a few others were going. As we were following a guide down hallways, I notice the negative tension felt by everyone, probably due to the loss. We were informed that this was strictly a fan meet and greet and no press would be there, so I wasn't too worried.

After arriving to the club level we were greeted by about 20 people. Although the game hadn't gone our way, the fans continued to express how proud they were. That seemed to boost the player's mood as well as mine. I was with Cody and Corey and we were talking to three teenage boys who were big fans. Corey was one of their favorite players. As they went on about something, I heard someone call my name from behind. I look back and see Bill. Of course he was here. "Jenna Harper," he smiles. "Hey Bill," I force a smile. "It's been what," he tries to make conversation. "Three months," I finish for him. "Right-" he was cut short by Cody stepping in. "Jenna, who's this?" He asks from beside me. "Bill," he introduces himself. "Nice to meet you, I'm Cody," they shake hands. "Cody?" Bill questions confused. "Bellinger," Cody replies for clarification. "I don't believe I've heard of you? You play for the team?" Bill questions even more. I could feel the tension between them. "He's our top prospect, so he'll be with us for spring training," I explain. "What she said," Cody smiles. "Oh okay. So you're like back up in case someone gets hurt," Bill makes an unnecessary comparison. "Something like that," Cody laughs sarcastically. "Well it was nice seeing you," I lie so I could abort this situation. "Actually Jenna, I was hoping we could talk. Maybe over a drink?" Bill stops me. I don't say anything. "She's got a really busy schedule, you know with co-managing a Major League Baseball team and all," Cody speaks up. "Jenna?" Bill and I lock eyes. "She can't make it, okay," Cody was starting to get annoyed. "Him? Really?" Bill was annoyed also. He looked from Cody to me. "I thought you knew better, Jenna," Bill refers to Cody. "It's not like that," I defend myself. "Isn't it? This kid's obsessed with you," Bill laughs. "I don't know, man, it kind of seems like you're the one that's obsessed," Cody shrugs, not phased by the insult. "Look kid-" before Bill could finish, Cody cuts him off. "I think you should go. Now," he says stepping closer to Bill. "Cody, stop," I was scared that Cody might do something he'd regret. "You should listen to her," Bill says with an amused grin. "I said-" Cody was starting to get pissed off so I cut him off by stepping in front of him. "Bill, please just go. We're done," I couldn't even look him in the eyes. "Cmon Jenna," he smirks. "I said please," I said almost immediately after, this time looking him in the eyes. "Fine," he finally says after a short moment of realization. "Good luck, Jenna. You'll need it," he glares at Cody and I before leaving. I sigh in relief. "I think I hate him more than I expected to," Cody laughs in relief. "Really Cody? You almost caused a scene," I was frustrated. "I wouldn't have went that far, you know that," he says with more seriousness. "It sure looked like you were about to," I argue. "You're welcome, Jenna. I don't know what more you want from me," he shrugs leaving.