Eight: Confrontation

Finally the game was about to start. They announced the starting line up and and everyone lined up for the national anthem. I stood beside Corey and Doc.

Throughout the game, it was hard to acknowledge anyone. I was afraid that others felt the same way about me as Joc did. Cody half avoided me also. I shouldn't haven take my anger out on him, he only tried to help. It was our at-bat and Chris was going on about something. I kept zoning out due to my constant thinking about Cody and what was going on in his head. My mind was not where it needed to be and for that, maybe I really didn't belong there.

My thoughts were interrupted when I heard boos. I immediately look at who was up to bat and see Joc. He was angry at a called strike 3 and so was the crowd. Even Doc was making his way out there. Joc was still arguing with the umpire. "Shit," I hear mumbles from the guys. "Pederson is not having a good day," Chris says. I wondered whether or not I should've interfered. I see Joc say something smart to the umpire then before I knew it, he was being thrown out of the game. There were boos for many reasons. I knew Joc's behavior wasn't solely based off of a disagreed called strike. It had something to do with me. Joc leaves in a fit of anger, after throwing his helmet at the dugout wall. No one said a word to him. "Would anyone else care to throw a fit?" Doc walks into the dugout after, breaking the silence from everyone. Everyone goes back to doing what they were doing before the incident. Puig was next up to bat.

The game ended around 4. We won but I still felt horrible. "Congratulations on your first win!" Madisyn pops up after I exit the stadium. "Hey, I was gonna say that," Mariana laughs. I force a smile. "Whoa, what's up?" They immediately notice my mood. "Nothing important," I try to change my tone. "Oh yes it is," they follow on either side to me. "I just don't feel like I contribute. I'm not needed here," I sigh. "What the heck, of course you're needed. The guys need another perspective. Yours," Madi says. "I swear, I really feel like the team is gonna go far with you this year," Mariana adds. "I hope so," I sigh once more. "I know so," Mariana reassures me. I smile more genuinely.

We hear whistles from behind us. Mariana and Madi are the first to turn around. It was Kiké, Corey, and Cody. I assume the whistles were from Kiké and Corey. They immediately embrace their girlfriends in conversation and hugs. I look to Cody who clearly hadn't forgotten about earlier. "You guys wanna get dinner later," Corey asks all of us. "We'd love to," Mariana looks to Kiké who agreed. "Sorry" "Can't" Cody and I reply in unison causing us to stop our explanations. "I... have plans with someone else," Cody finishes what he was saying. The others could clearly sense that there was tension between us two. "Alright. I guess I'll see you tomorrow then," Corey says to both of us and forces a smile to lighten the mood. "We'll text you," Mariana and Madi smile to me before leaving.

I wanted to talk to Cody and apologize to him but Kaitlyn showed up. "Congrats on the win!" She smiled. "Thanks Kaitlyn," I force a smile. "So this is the guy I'm always seeing you with," she refers to Cody. They never officially met. "Oh. Yea, this is Cody. Cody this is my P.A. Kaitlyn," I introduce them. "Nice to meet you," Cody shakes her hand. "You two can sure make my life difficult," she jokes. Cody smiles in politeness. "That's definitely not our intention," he glances at me and we exchange a small smile as if knowing what the other was thinking. "Hard to believe," Kaitlyn says. "I'm guessing you have things to talk about. I'll see you later, Jenna. It was nice meeting you," Cody says after a moment, referring to Kaitlyn. Almost everyone drove theirselves here if not carpooled, so Cody left in his car. Kaitlyn had gotten me a driver. It was kind of dumb since I could drive but I didn't argue with her about it. She told me it was mostly for safety reasons.

The drive back to the condo consisted mainly of Kaitlyn reminding me of upcoming interviews and important dates. I was dropped off and Kaitlyn left to her hotel. It wasn't late but all I wanted to do was sleep and never wake up. I collapse on the couch and sigh. "You'll have better days," I say to myself. I look over at my watch and see that it was 5 p.m. I guess I should just order Chinese or something. I haven't really had a night to myself in a while.

I also order a bottle of wine from the room service-like menu. I take a shower before the food and wine arrives.

I still found myself thinking about Cody. Who did he have plans with? I just screwed everything up didn't I?

—§—

After a few hours of researching prospects, my self hatred faded. I was so lost in thought, I almost didn't realize the knock at my door. I stretch momentarily after getting up then answer the door. I wasn't so surprised that it was Cody. He looked up from staring at the floor as if in deep thought. "Hey," I faintly remark to break the silence between us. "Just tell me, Jenna," he sighs. I don't reply but I knew exactly what he meant. "What happened earlier? You can talk to me," he says once more. I take a deep breath, preparing myself. "I don't know what I'm doing wrong," I turn around and leave him, knowing that he'd follow. He shuts the door behind him. "You could've told me earlier. You just blew me off like I was a stranger to you," he says stopping me in the kitchen area. "I know. I was just... I'm sorry," I couldn't face him. "I'm not mad at you, Jenna. I'm just confused," he says from behind me. "I know nothing can happen between us," he continues. "But I don't want to be just another player to you," I could tell he had been holding that in. I turn to face him slowly. He looked at me haphazardly. I sigh, realizing what he meant. "You're way more than that, Cody," I smile restlessly. I had no idea what he was about to do but just his smile was enough to make me forget all of the problems in my life.