THIRTY SIX

David rolled the window down, seeing as Madani had tapped it a few seconds prior. She sighed lightly, pursing her lips. "What are you doing here?"

"It's okay." Frank's voice suddenly came into earshot. He and Rusty walked towards the van, Lexi trotting next to them. "We called her."

Madani turned, and Leo looked out of the window as her dad spoke. "How long have you been here? We were worried."

Rusty smirked. "We had to make sure she came alone."

The three stopped by the black van. "How about it, Madani?" Frank spoke. "Gonna pull your weapon on us again?"

She looked at the two for a minute. "Do I have to?"

Rusty smirked, chuckling. Frank too, he hung his head lower and Rusty put a hand on her side, where the glass had entered her body.

David frowned. "You alright?"

"Yeah." The two mumbled. Rusty looked inside the van. "Hey, where's Fender?"

Leo smiled a little at the mention of the canine. "He's sleeping in the back." She said quietly. You could tell she was nervous, unsure about the two. She had the right, they had just killed about a dozen men.

Rusty smiled at Leo. "Do you wanna come see him with me? I bet he's gonna be excited."

Leo looked at her dad, who smiled at her reassuringly. She turned, climbing from her seat and into the back of the van. Rusty smiled at Frank as she passed him, and opened the sliding door to the van. Her dog greeted her happily, his hind leg getting better by the minute. 

"I can't believe you called her." David spoke to Frank.

Madani remained her unsure self. "Honestly, neither can I."

"Ah, if he trusts you." Frank looked at David. "Then I guess me and Rusty do, too."

There was a silence for a few seconds, before Frank spoke again. "Excuse me." He walked to the opened side door of the van, where Leo was smiling as she fed Fender and Lexi some food. She giggled, but her smile fell when she saw Frank. She seemed very uncomfortable with him around. She knew who he was; Rusty, too, but she was easier to be around. The girl didn't know why. She was just . . . friendly.

"Hey." Frank said. "You did good, kid."

Leo looked down, and Rusty glanced at Frank. Take it easy. You know how to.

"You knew he was alive all this time."

Frank nodded a little. He whispered an almost incoherent, "Yeah." He looked at Rusty for reassurance, before turning back to Leo. "I'm sorry about that."

She stayed silence for some time, but she looked at both of the wanted ex-marines. "I don't know what to call you now. It seems stupid to say Rose or Pete."

Rusty smiled at the girl, but Frank spoke first in his usual gruff tone. "I'm Frank. Frank Castle."

Rusty stroked Fender's back. She smiled, giving a hand to Leo as a greeting. "Rusty."

Leo looked at Rusty's hand. She frowned, but a few seconds later she slowly put her hand in Rusty's, shaking it. "Your real name is Rusty?"

The woman chuckled. "Yeah. It's on my birth certificate - I'm Rusty Mallard."

Leo took her hand away, more intimidated than for Rusty's liking. She looked down, stroking Lexi who had lay down beside her. "They're a lot scarier than Pete and Rose."

Frank mumbled trying to find the right words, but Rusty spoke up first, standing next to Frank. "Yeah, I guess they are."

Frank sighed, nodding to himself as Leo got distracted by the four-legged creatures. Smart dogs.