THIRTY NINE

"Did you know about it, Bill?"

Silence. Rusty watched as more drops of tears fell from her eyes. To be honest, it was more painful for tears to drip from her body than blood. She was used to blood, she could handle losing it. But tears? She simply couldn't.

Billy nodded. "Yeah."

Frank's sadness turned to anger in just a few seconds. He looked at Rusty, and seeing her cry broke his heart so much. She lifted her head, looking at him. Her eyes were shimmering as they pooled with tears.

He turned to Billy. "She loved you."

"Look, it wasn't supposed to go like this, all right?"

He said it so casually.

Fucker.

"My kids loved you."

"If i could go back and change it, I would." Billy said. "But I can't."

Frank groaned, a few more tears falling down his cheeks. He couldn't believe the man in front of him. The man who used to be his best friend.

"Frank, look at me." Billy said. He moved closer, this time his speech flew out with more power. "Look at me, Frank."

Frank's frame was quickly moving side to side by two centimetres. He did that often when he was mad. And, hell, was he mad.

The Punisher looked up at Billy, and the two of them stared at each other.

"I did not want this." He raised his eyebrows, looking at Frank for an answer.

"Go to fucking hell." Rusty seethed.

Frank inhaled lightly, whispering out an, "I'm gonna kill you."

"No. No you're not." Billy was enjoying this too much. "All that's left is do decide how you and her die. Easy or hard. That's it. That's your choice."

Frank scoffed and Rusty laughed.

"Shut up, Bill, just . . ." Frank was unimpressed. "There are worse things than dying, Bill. I wake up most mornings and I want it. I hope for it."

"Yeah?"

"Yeah?"

Rusty looked at Billy, her head cocked. "You don't know shit about the feeling, Billy. You will, though." The woman leaned in. "I'll make sure you will."

Billy put his hands on his hips, standing between the two. He looked at both of them. "Well, why don't you let me help you out? Hmm?"

Frank stared at the man, then scoffed out of nowhere. "Okay. Okay, Bill, you win." Frank smacked his lips. "I pick easy. Now shoot me. Do it."

Billy didn't say anything. Rusty was beginning to become bored of his silent way of interrogation. It wanted to make her have a nap.

"What is it?" She mocked him.

Billy smiled.

"You can't, can ya?"

"Yeah, you got that unfinished business, don't you, Bill?"

"How's she doing over there?" Frank nodded to the girl on the computer. "How you doing over there?"

Billy said calmly, "Don't play with me." He stared at the two, again. "You tell me what happens when those counters hit zero."

Rusty smirked, as Frank half-smiled. She spoke, "All kinds of the best shit, Billy-boy."

Frank nodded. "All kinds of good shit."