I'll Be Right by Your Side

Petra's POV

   They were here for only two hours, and already they left.

I wouldn't be surprised if they stopped visiting at all.  I thought bitterly as I entered my room in the Order Hall and slammed the door, plopping head first onto my bed and sighing in frustration.

   Olivia, Lukas, and Axel had just paid a visit. I was so looking forward to spending time with my best friends, but not even two hours here and they had to leave. Even Jesse had looked a little disappointed when they said they had to go, and she's usually the most understanding about these things.

    I knew I was being unfair. They had their own lives, their own responsibilities, but it still sucked.

   I turned over, now facing the ceiling, as I let out another sigh. I wasn't just frustrated. I was disappointed too.

  I missed hanging out with my friends. I could always count on them.
Now I can only count on Jesse.

Not that I don't like Jesse!

  It's actually quite the opposite. I thought as my cheeks warmed and a hint of a smile spread across my face. She's the smartest, bravest, most adorable person in the world.

   But after being alone for so long then suddenly having the most awesome friends, you can't help but get mad when you they start leaving you.

   I don't want to be alone. Not again.

   My thoughts were interrupted when someone knocked on my door.

     "Come in," I called as I sat up, assuming it was Lukas. Had he noticed I took his jacket when he wasn't looking as a petty way to make him stay a bit longer?

   My assumptions were proved wrong when Jesse opened the door and entered.

   She brightened when she saw me, a rough draft of Lukas' book tucked in her arm. She impatiently blew away a piece of hair that was falling over her eye.

Dammit. I love that dork. 

"Hey Petra!" She said as she rested Lukas' book on my nightstand and hopped onto my bed. "I was wondering where you were,"

"How come?" I asked her.

      "I noticed you were acting a little irritated when the guys said they were leaving," She said.         "And that you came to the Order Hall instead of going outside. You usually don't like being cooped up on a nice day like this. I got a little worried. Are you okay?"

   "I'm fine," I assured her, laying back down on the bed."I just miss hanging out with everyone. They're always so busy now. I really miss spending time with them."

   "I miss it too," Jesse said, a small sigh escaping her lips. She laid down next to me, making my cheeks redden. "And I'm sure they do as well."

   "It's just," I began. "I never knew how awesome it was to have friends until I met you guys. And now that they're leaving,  it's making me afraid that I'll.. be alone again."

   Jesse sat up and suddenly looked at me seriously.

   "I would never let that happen to you," She emphasised. "You don't have to worry about being alone. I'll always be right by your side, Petra. Always."

  I was kind of taken aback by how firm she was, but I was grateful for it. Very grateful
"Thanks Jess," I smiled, and we embraced. "That makes me feel a lot better."

   "Don't mention it," She said as she pulled away from the hug, her dimples forming as she smiled back. Wait. Was that a blush reddening her cheeks?

   Dang it, why does she have to be so cute?

    "Come on!" She said suddenly, grabbing my hand and pulling me out of bed. "We're wasting this beautiful day! Let's go have some fun!"

   "There's the energetic Jesse I know," I laughed.

                           ...

    It was while we were in the Treasure Room that I noticed  Jesse was still holding my hand. She gave my hand a small squeeze as we walked towards the exit of the Order Hall. I bit the inside of my lip to keep from smiling like an idiot as I squeezed back.

    "Uh, Petra?" She asked a few moments later.

"Yeah?" I replied, my stomach still fluttering over the fact that we were holding hands.

"Why is Lukas' jacket hanging from the ceiling?"