6. Dreaming with a Broken Heart

His warm, soft, gentle hand reaches under my jaw. I take in his smell, masculine... smells like home. "Willa, wake up," his soothing velvet voice says.

"How about, laying in bed all day. Hm?" I say, genuinely tired. I slowly open my eyes to be able to stare into his. We lay in our small, plush bed, wearing only sheets, curled up in each others arms.

"Sounds absolutely perfect to me," he kisses my lips, soft and sweet. the whole room is flooded with a sweet, warm glow. He swoops my nose and kisses me again, giggling.

"Shall I have pancakes made?" I ask.

"That would be lovely."

I get up and throw on whatever clothes I can find. Walking up to the doorway, I grab the doorknob only to be pushed against the door. Ben kisses me hotly, his hands clutching my hips, tounge painting circles on my teeth. My body aches for his touch, a fire building within me, hearts racing and breath shaking. Ben wraps his hand around the back of my inner thigh, sending raging heat through me.

I push my lips into his, run my fingers through his hair and press my left hand into his back, pushing him closer to me. Kisses get faster, more heated, he tugs the shirt off of my body. He reaches down, grabs my boob awkwardly, but still hot. Ben traces his lips over my neck, eventually licking my neck up and down.

  Suddenly, my mind goes into hyperdrive. Dear god what did he do while I was gone? Do I wanna know? Wait. I don't remember going home... I fell asleep in a lab, not my bed.

This isn't real.

°°°

I shake, my eyes snap open. My body is cold, the mat beneath me is warm. I'm a wolf. Damn. I look around then lay my head back down to the mat.

I hadn't realized Rose was next to me until she had started rubbing behind my ear. Now I know why dogs love this. This is the first time I've had actual human contact in what seems like months, but Rose informs me was only about a week. I was in 'dead wolf' for three days.

Dead wolf is the state of consciousness they put you in to test you. No memories carried with you out of it, completely wolf mind. All you do remember is the needles.

Images flash by in my head, outdoors, trees, other people. I realize now that these aren't my own thoughts.

'What are you doing? How are you showing me this?' I think, wishing I could talk.

"Freaky, I know. It's, a- a werewolf thing. Its how we communicate in the wolf skin," Rose says, still petting my head. "And I can hear you, you're thinking loud. Who's Ben?"

I freak out internally, mostly at the fact she can see my mind. I imagine his sweet, soft face, blue eyes of every shade. His lips, strong and warm. Everything about him shines in a beautiful light. I show her my friends, the people I have come to love for years; my family. My heart aches for them.

"It must be hard, coming from the outside. Having an actual family to miss. All I have to miss is the boys. Being separated from them is probably a good thing though." She gets up, due to my body shaking, becoming human. I shift and turn under my sheet, now fully, gloriously human. "So, you still haven't told me about Ben." I glare at her.

"Why does it matter to you?" I spit. I see no good reason why she needs to know any more about my life.

"Because you'll be in here for the rest of your life, I'd like to know a little bit about you."

I don't let my eyes away from hers, "he's my boyfriend, obviously. Why are you so damn interested in him?"

"Because I need to help you forget about him," she says, standing up, walking over towards me.

"I don't need to, I'm getting out of here." I dash up, clutching my sheet, going over to my shelf on the opposite wall to grab my clothes.

"Good luck."

"I won't need it. I don't need you." I take my clothes and slam the tiny bathroom door shut. The all tile room reminds me of an old creepy hospital. I slide down the pastel mint wall and hold my head in my hands. Fuck. Someone get me out of here. Focus, Benedict needs you. Megan needs you. Get your ass out there and get to them.

I put my clothes on quickly and slam the door open. "They're not gonna let you out," Rose says, nose suddenly crammed in a book.

There's an emergency button on the wall right next to the door. I slam it. Unnecessary, but makes me feel pretty badass. "Either you fake the seizure or I do, I recommend you do if you want any shot of getting out of here." She looks up, confused. "They're down the hall with a crash cart. Do it. Now."

She sighs and starts to shake. Violently. The nurses come in, genuinely concerned. "Seizure?" The short Asian lady asks.

I fake cry, "please, just help her!" The nurses hoist the flailing body onto the gurney and start running down to the hall, just before they can shut the door behind them, I slip out into the open. I run behind them, and jump onto the back of the gurney. I hover over Rose's body and try to communicate to her. 'When we get to the doors that lead outside, you open the door and run and I'll follow okay?'

'Let's do it.'