5. Woozy

I wake up dizzy and lost. I'm in a large warm room with padded walls and a small hard matress. I'm human. "Hello? Megan? Jamie? Anyone?" No answer. Guess I'm alone. I get up and walk over to the door with a small glass window and prop myself up on my toes. Just a long dark hallway with more tiny glass windows.

"Nobody is coming to get us, you know," a voice says behind me. I turn around and see the platinum blonde girl. "Sorry about attacking you, by the way." I stand there mystified. She's georgeous. "I was born here. Genetic experiments and such. They know that you're like me, they'll never let you out of here."

  "So, I'm a prisoner here now? And who the hell are you?" I ask.

  "Basically. I'm Rose. Looks like we'll be in here together for a while. Hope you play well with others, there's a few more they let me hang around. Boys though. I was the only girl for ever."

"Is that why you attacked me?"

"Sorry about that..." she trails off.

"If this place is so secure then how did you get out?"

"I've been in her for 18 years. I've tried everything. Not like I'm gonna yell you so you can just get up and leave."

I face her now, fuming. I tower at least 5 inches over her head. "Who the hell do you think you are? My family is back in London by now, wondering where the hell I am and what happened. I have a boyfriend who means the world to me!" Ben. Ben.

"Look, I wasn't human. Soon you'll understand. But you had an aura that called to me, your body called my attention. I didn't want to turn you into this, I had to." Her words say sincere, her body language says to trust her; but those piercing yellow brown eyes. Liar. Rose sweeps the short white fringe from her face, glaring into my soul.

"I don't give a shit about motives. I want out of this hellhole."

"Unless you get all of your blood, DNA, and bones replaced, that's not happening."

°°°

I lay on my bed. Comfortable enough. Its not very private. The one bed adjacent to mine is Rose's. She shares my insomnia, apparently. Damn, will she ever stop pacing? I lay facing the wall. I've never wanted to get out of a place so fast so badly. Every second felt torturous and infinite.

"You asleep?" Rose asks. She keeps trying to talk to me, I never respond. I'm so angry and a single tear rolls down my cheek.

"Go away." I feel a hand on my shoulder and shrug it off. She walks away.

  My veins feel heavy and my eyes snap shut. I'm still awake enough to hear her pacing around the room. I want to fall asleep, but I don't trust Rose enough to sleep. Why isn't she asleep yet?

A beautiful, melodic voice sings at the other end of the room. Shifting in the sheets, I turn around and look. Rose stops singing "What? Sorry. Just go to sleep."

  "Was that you? Singing, just now?"

  "Yeah, why?"

  I'm going absolutely insane. No human has that great of a singing voice I've ever heard. "That was... beautiful."

  "Uh.... thanks?"

°°°

I wake up curled up, covered in hair, my hair. What the hell? Oh right. I'm a freak.

"Hey, wolfie. How ya feelin?" a man in a lab coat says, scratching under my chin. Well, this is humiliating.

Rose is in a cage across an isleway from me. I'm standing on a cold metal table, obviously used for something medical, there's a huge surgical light at one end. The man in the lab coat wheels a small cart full of needles over towards me. He opens a drawer and pulls out a full syringe out and grabs the scruff of my neck. I turn and growl.

"Hey, girlie, its fine. Don't worry, this is to make you better."

"I'm not sick! You twat, get off me!" I try to say, all that comes out is angry barks. I guess that works too.

"Calm your tits." I get jabbed in the neck with the needle, whatever's in it is strong. I feel woozy and lose control of my legs. Everything feels warm and dark. I hear a voice as my canine body falls to the floor.