Chapter One

Locked into a chairs, it felt like the Avengers had been downgraded. Lost in a world, it was a good question on where the the Time Stone had spat them out. The woman in the red dress spoke clear English; she talked like an American. It was a good hope that this was the United States, but where in the United States? Perhaps, even the better question, then: when in the United States? Something about her threw them off, like she had walked out of a 1950's classic, glammed up to go out for long evening.

The lights burned overhead, the only thing to illuminate the gray, concrete walls. The same concrete laid underneath of them. The corners of the room remained dark. Drains sat on the floor with red stained against the metal. Every breath echoed against the concrete. The Avengers sat in one long row, barely able to see past one another. Whatever the woman had used had left them defenseless, and now all their weapons and toys were gone.

The doors squeaked open, and the woman in the red dress walked in. "You'll have to excuse my dress," said the woman as she walked forward, her heels clicking against the ground. "I was out dancing tonight. I didn't realize the party was going to be here." She towered in front of them now, not a single gram of fear on her face. The corners of her mouth were still turned up in a smile.

"Who are you?" Tony demanded, voice rumbling in the concrete building.

She walked circles around them. "Why do you want to know?" She stepped in front of him. "I can safely assume you get your looks from your father." Her fingers ran across his battered cheek from battle, but he didn't inch back.

She turned her back to them, which became Peter's chance. "I got this," he murmured. Clearing his voice, he batted his eyelashes and tilted his head to the side, trying to smile charmingly as if to impress Tony Stark beside him. "Hey, sorry, I think we got off on the wrong foot," he began, and the woman in red turned to face him. "I think all of us boys-- and girls-- are taken off by your beauty. I mean, you're very intimidating, but you're beautiful. It just makes me--" His rambling continued even as she stopped listening.

Tony rolled his eyes; he had obviously taught Peter the wrong things.

"Are you really flirting with me, right now?" she asked annoyed. "Have you even hit puberty? What are you, fourteen?"

"I'm Spider-Man."

She rolled her eyes. "What do they call this merry group?"

"We're the Avengers!" yelled out Scott Lang.

"You?" She walked over. "You're an Avenger?"

"Yeah!"

She stood there.

"Why? What makes you think I'm not? I'm cool. I can do things too-- like I can make myself really small and I can--"

"Scott," Steve's voice cut in, and the woman adjusted her gaze to him. Walking over, the woman made herself comfortable on his lap, and he shifted as if trying to get her off. It didn't work. Her fingertips brushed back his blonde hair, revealing his blue eyes with a hint of green in them.

A throat cleared, and her hand stopped, hovering his dark beard. Her eyes slowly made their way to the corner in an annoyed but unconcerned look. "What?" she spat.

Heavy footsteps moved in the corner and a man stepped into the light. His dark hair sat on his shoulders. A black mask covered his face. Smudges covered his dark eyes as the light had been gone for quite some time. His hand did not relax from his gun, ready to shoot and kill at any moment. He walked with purpose to stand behind her, to tower over her, and all watched as the monster did so, barely even breathing.

Her green eyes flickered up. Moaning, she stood to become eye to eye. "Does something bother you, Winter Soldier?"

He looked down.

"No?" she wondered sarcastically sheepish. "Then stand in your corner. I'll yell if I need you."

For a second, he didn't move. His eyes challenged her, the dark abyss that they were. The Winter Soldier took a step back.

"Yeah, you step back," Scott hollered, clinking his chains as he went, and everyone glared at him, with Bucky eyes especially harsh.

Smoothing down her red dress, the woman took another walk around. Opening her mouth to say something new, a long blast came from the distance, and the concrete shifted, threatening to go down. Tiny pebbles fell from the ceiling to shatter on the concrete floor. The woman looked displeased but not surprised. "Deal with it," she commanded the Winter Soldier.

Winter Soldier did as commanded and exited the doors as another blast came from outside the room.

She sighed.

Steve put up his chin in defiance.

"What?" she asked, bending down.

"Nothing, ma'am." His defense charm was put on as her eyes narrowed, watching him like the hawk her face reflected.

A third blast came, this time closer, which shook the room. The concrete under their feet shifted as the walls groaned. The ceiling shook as well, letting a few more concrete, unshapened pebbles down. A cold breeze flowed in, whipping her hair back. The woman in red stood tall as her eyes watched the floor. The blast was louder than before.

Sighing, she walked to the doors.

"Yeah, you better run!" Scott yelled. "Run from us! We're scary! I'm scary! We're going to get you. You better run!"

The woman didn't glance back as she left, and the doors creaked closed behind her. They shut heavily.

"You're going to get us killed if you don't shut up," Sam commented, relaxing in his constraints. Bucky agreed with this.

"Does anyone have a plan?" Doctor Strange asked, voice at a vibrato, echoing in the concrete chamber out of boredom.

"Bucky, do you remember her?" Steve looked over to his friend, who stared past Steve to watch Tony in the corner. Steve, looking over to Iron Man, saw their matched faces. "What is it? Who is she--"

Two black ropes fell from the ceiling as another gust of wind came in. The Avengers glanced up into the darkness, and quickly, one figure came down. Dressed in black, she appeared like death. With a gun attached to her hip, she was ready to fight. She watched the door carefully before pushing her brown hair back to get a full look at the Avengers, who were held captive in front of her. In the middle, like fate had collided and they were meant to be there, Agent Peggy Carter reunited with Captain Steve Rogers.