Chapter Seven

"Howard," Maria warned as he pulled on her arm, "I don't think now is the time." They closed in on a room, after Howard had taken her left and right, and left again. "We need to face Thanos sooner than later."

"We have time now," he urged.

"Do we?"

Howard pulled her into the big open room, where whatever Maria thought he wanted didn't have a bed. He let her hand dropped and walked over to the record player, which he put on a record, which squealed until adjusted. He opened his arms like "ta-da."

"We need to prepare for--"

"Sure," he agreed and pulled her into his arms as the slow music filled the air. "Not what you expected?"

"I have been married to you for a few years, Howard."

"And you never get what you expect."

"Sometimes you do." Maria winked.

Twirling her, they came back together as they danced. Whether or not Thanos was out in the world doing incredible damage, it didn't matter. Whatever the big picture was, it was gone. For now, it was the slow music filling the air, and how their bodies moved. Howard preferred the fast music, which would've been his first choice. On the second thought, he placed back the fast movement for something to relax his wife before they went to battle-- well, she went into battle.

Unlike the Avengers, there weren't large battles for the either of them. Howard spent most of his time in a lab, and somehow, he got out to save Steve and the apparent Avengers, but no one else. When he got out-- and eventually saved by his wife who always managed to forgive him-- it was random and only because he was bored. Never did Chief Sousa announce that it was okay to go. As for Maria, the days were limited that she was home; she didn't play happy housewife. Howard didn't want her that way, just some girl to settle down. If she ever did settle down, in his mind, it was because of lack of choice. Howard knew she couldn't do this with the rest of her life, but she was damn well going to try.

"Thank you, Howard."

"Any time, darling." He tilted her head back and kissed, letting his finger spiral her golden hair. Her green eyes shone in the dim light, hinting of brown. "We needed a break."

"Are you happy to see your friend again?"

Howard swallowed. "I have dreamed of seeing Steve again, but it doesn't feel right. It feels rushed and awkward, and there is never a moment to talk. I want to be able to tell him all these things; I want to hear about the future. He won't tell me anything."

"That's probably for the best."

He pursed his lips.

"You would be that person to try to change the future. Sometimes you just have to let it happen. Accept it."

"You know the future."

"I won't tell you anything."

"You don't want it to change."

"I can tell you the world isn't going to end like you think it will. I have hope it will continue."

"The Avengers don't seem to think so."

"They are rather dramatic," Maria conceded. "Spend time with him if you want because it's the only time you will be able to see him." Her voice wavered a bit, and she didn't like how that happened. Howard, oblivious to most, did not realize at as his own thoughts were lost with Steve.

"What must Maria be thinking?" Howard wondered. "And with Sousa? Two guys for the price of one." He whistled.

Maria rolled her eyes.

"Remember, you only have a job because of me."

"You only have a wife because of your money."

Howard's eyes were even with her, almost cross. Shrugging, his hands slid up to Maria's face, dipping it back so that he clearly looked into her eyes. "Are we happy, Maria, in the future?"

"We're very proud." It so easily rolled off her tongue. She had kept the date of their deaths off her tongue, out of her mind. Howard never thought to ask, because, in complete honesty, he didn't want to know. He wanted to live forward, and anything less than that was a disappointment. He wanted to know everything, never stop creating, and the day it ended, he didn't want to know.

Howard's thumb ran over her cheek, feeling the softness of her skin. Underneath her eyes had turned purple with the bags becoming heavy. "When's the last time you slept?"

"I'm fine, Howard." She pulled her head away.

"Are you?" he asked. "We told the Avengers to sleep and eat. How about you, doll? When's the last time you ate?"

"Don't call me doll." She stepped back.

"Maria, please. Let's go and eat something. You've been up for... well, however long when you were with the Winter Soldier. You need rest."

If Maria was going to argue anymore with him, she didn't have the chance. Suddenly alarms blared from above, as if something was picked up on the radar-- something that wasn't supposed to be there. Howard stared above at the flashing lights as the lights turned red into alarm mode. Maria didn't hesitate; she grabbed his hand and they were running out of the room and down the hallway.