Chapter Three

The sun started to rise on the horizon as the airplane landed at the SSR base, located in Washington D.C. Howard Stark's flying had been graceful, even for a short flight, and his landing was not short of impeccable. After Agent Carter had done some explaining, she had joined Howard in the cockpit for the remaining part of the flight. After the aircraft had landed, the back door opened to reveal the bright lights shining down on the compound. The razor wire fence buzzed. Soldiers with large gun held at posts but their eyes watched as the Avengers wanted by, marveling at one of the first larger bases of what would become SHIELD. Other soldiers with a variety of weapons stood at attention.

"Home sweet home," Howard whistled, hands in his pockets.

Captain Rogers stood and waited, jaw jutting at the sight in front of him. "I thought this was more science based than anything else." While he knew what SHIELD would become, he hoped in Peggy's time in charge that it wasn't this. Steve saw military in front of him, all of it, never ending in the weapons with soldiers that eyed them wearily.

"We needed an upgrade." Howard walked toward his "home."

Agent Carter watched as Mr. Stark walked away with a frown on her face. "The world changed after the war, especially with Hydra still about, Steve. Science can be dangerous, and it can be power. People are after Howard's experiments, among the other scientists."

"He called this his home," Tony interjected, walking on the thin ice, wondering if anyone would recognize him, even knew about him. With how both of his future parents looked at him, it was a no.

"This mission was the first time he left in a month. After a certain... invention of his, there were threats to his life because people wanted so badly what he created," Peggy explained. "It's time for a tour."

Walking inside the compound, the area between military and science wasn't much. There was no clear line, especially as glowing like Tesseract energy was injected into weapons just out of pure curiosity and luck-- weapons that looked much like Hydra weapons. Steve glanced at Peggy, who didn't look at him as they walked on. Military men wore military uniforms, and they watched as the Avengers walked in, dressed in their "costumes." The compound held high security protocols. A woman over the P.A. system used code names and words. Agent Carter led the Avengers through the area of men tightening their grips on their guns.

"I love being stared at," Sam said sarcastically.

"Me too," Tony replied genuinely.

"Peggy!" Chief Daniel Sousa called as he hobbled over, leaning on his cane. His dark hair had started to gray, but his kind smile hadn't faded. "Stark told me he brought some friends in. He didn't say who."

Peggy took a deep breath. "Daniel, these are the Avengers. This is Captain Rogers-- Steve."

Chief Sousa's smile didn't falter. "I've heard a lot about you." He shook Steve's hand.

"Do you work together?" Steve asked meekly.

"He's my husband," Peggy admitted with a smile. "We've been married for the last five years." Sousa kept his mouth tight lipped with an awkward look on his face.

An engine revved as the wheels squealed to a stop on the concrete within the compound. Maria Stark, still in her red sparkly dress, hopped off the motorcycle. Her hair was out of place; she had a grim look on her face. Dried blood crusted her skin and dress. She held a tiny black box in her hand. "Sousa, head's up." He caught it with his hand. "Sousa, Carter, I need to talk to you immediately." Maria took off her heels and started to rub her sore feet. "Listen--"

"Maria!" Howard yelled.

"Howard?" Maria's eyes were still focused on her bosses. "There was--"

"Maria!"