Chapter Thirteen

In Howard Stark's workshop, thankfully, it was going along. The arc reactor was on its way to be creating, just the prototype, but it was all that was needed when it came to the Infinity Stone. Once inside and working with energy, the hope was that the Infinity Stone would work again-- whatever that meant and whatever it was supposed to do. Later, Howard Stark would have to focus on his designs for the real arc reactor.

"I think it's done." Howard stepped back as Bruce, Peter and Iron Man finished on their portions of the arc reactor. It was a bangup job, and without all the supplies necessary, it was the best that they could do on such short notice.

"So, how do we think it works?" Peter asked. "How do we get the stone in there?"

"Throw it," Iron Man suggested.

"Um, no," Bruce hesitated. "I think that would not be a good idea. If we were in the future, I would offer up simulations-- something to see what the calculations might be and what might happen next--"

"But we're not. We're here, and we test things like they'll all work out fine." Howard Stark gripped the Infinity Stone, and without a second thought, threw it into the uncovered arc reactor, which was filled with unmeasured power.

The arc reactor continued to glow blue, moving normally-- or at least like it was planned to do. The energy continued to move in a perfectly circle. And then the arc reactor started to vibrate, making a clanking sound as the stone bounced around. It sounded like it hit the sides of the metal container, until suddenly a crack showed up. Another crack showed up on the opposite side of the arc reactor. A high pitched squealing sound echoed in the room, and the arc reactor hummed.

The four scientists exchanged looks at one another, and in sync, they are all decided to make a run for hit. Jumping behind large lab tables and covering their heads, they were ready for anything.

Sizzling started at the source as the room grew quiet. Their heartbeats thundered at the perceived threat. Sweat dripped down Banner's forehead; excitement filled Howard Stark. It had been years since he made something hopefully explode like this. The thought did occur to him that perhaps he should've rung Maria or Peggy or Sousa to warn them about the impending explosion, and maybe if they should have the infirmary ready. However, they would've stated not to do whatever they planned to do, so where was the fun in that?

The arc reactor went off.

Sending pieces of shrap metal and energy in the room, the lab shook-- well, it seemed like the whole compound shook. The ceiling started to fall in some places as the flames grew around the dislodged areas. An alarm, unlike the alarm blared before, telling the whole compound of the safety of evacuation. Glass had shattered, and the lights went out. The only light came from the middle of the room. As for the four scientists, whose ears rung and bodies rumbled, they chose to hover to the ground a little longer.

Slowly, they stood and looked at the destroyed arc reactor. The glowing Soul Stone waited in the middle of the room, bright yellow and shining in the room that all the lights had been broken and crashed to the ground.

"Now what?" Peter Parker asked.

"I'm going to have to get Maria a new engagement ring," Howard responded.

Carefully walking over, Doctor Bruce Banner stayed away from the flames and looked at the Infinity Stone.

"Don't get too close," Howard warned, coming forward. "We don't know how dangerous it is."

Banner glanced back with a smile. "I might not be able to pick it up, but the other guy can."

"The other guy?"

Howard's eyes grew wide as in the light, Banner grew green and taller-- so much taller-- and wider-- so much wider, like he might break the ceiling more. His clothes ripped off his body, leaving the stretched and ripped pants on the massive green monster. Howard's mouth was in a wide open "O," almost like a scream was going to escape his lips. The Hulk towered over the rest of them, and Iron Man and Spider-Man still hovered back. Howard's neck wasn't able to go further back without snapping.

"Uh, Howard, you may want to come this way," Iron Man stated. Hulk-- hopefully-- wouldn't hurt Howard, especially when the Hulk had been on such good behavior, but Iron Man still wanted to be born.

"This is awesome!" Howard yelled.

The Hulk let out a bellow.

Howard Stark ran back, hiding behind Iron Man and Spider-Man. "How can he do that? Is that the other guy? Does he get bigger?"

The Hulk glanced at the three scientists before bending down and picking up the Soul Stone in his fingers. It was so small compared to the massive green fingers of the massive Hulk. In his hand, he let the Infinity Stone rest, and he grinned at the scientists.